Classic confinement request for the nano snap (was: nano-classic)

Dear @reviewers, @advocacy team, and snappy @architects,

I would like to request classic confinement for my snap nano-classic(currently not published on the Snap Store) nano(https://snapcraft.io/nano) according to the process for reviewing classic confinement snaps.

Recipe source:

Reasonings

Editing system config files

GNU nano is especially useful in editing files in the system directories in the classic system.

As a result, although this application is definitely possible to be snapped under strict confinement, it can be more useful if we also provide a version that is in classic confinement. I am willing to make compromises in order to make it past the vetting process(like transferring the snap to any trustworthy entity to reduce the risk to the users).

Thanks in advance!

Reference

Personally, I think the path least likely to cause confusion among users would be to make the existing nano snap classic, matching other editors. Note that because classic is less secure than strict, systems will not automatically upgrade to it. They’ll be on the old version until manually upgraded with --classic.

What do the other @reviewers think?

1 Like

Agreed. I’d prefer we had a classic nano snap than a separate one.

1 Like

In that case I hereby request the classic confinement of the nano snap instead.

@ev, @popey, @Wimpress, @Igor - can one or all of you perform the vetting for this snap?

14 days passed, I would like to request the continuation of the vetting process.

@ev, @popey, @Wimpress, @Igor - ping - can one or all of you perform the vetting for this snap?

1 Like

@jdstrand I can confirm that @Lin-Buo-Ren is a prolific Snapcraft contributor, well known to us and would certainly be a great candidate to maintain the nano snap. That said, as far as I know, @Lin-Buo-Ren is not an upstream nano contributors/maintainer.

As the snap is already transferred to Snapcrafters this perhaps doesn’t really matter as I no longer have the write access to the recipe?

Oops, I forgot to update the new source repo, fixed.

Granting use of classic. This is now live. Note that the current snap has other review errors since it is using ‘plugs/slots’ with ‘classic’ when it should not.

1 Like