Classic confinement request for snpguest

Hi,

I started to snap (name request pending) snpguest (snapcraft.yaml) and want to request classic confinement for it. snpguest uses the msru rust crate which requires access to /dev/cpu/{cpu_number}/msr. If there’s an interface which let the code access this path, I’m happy to make the snap strict and use that interface. If there’s no such interface, please allow this snap to be classic.

I opened a thread to see if strict confinement is possible but it looks like it is currently not. So please allow classic for this snap.

hi @toabctl - To help with the review and as a part of reviewing classic snaps, could you please specify the category this snap falls under. Thanks!

development maybe? I’m not 100% sure tbh.

hey @toabctl I just want to understand the urgency of this request. Is it possible to wait till snapd bug gets fixed for the custom-devices interface?

@0xnishit CPC needs this snap for testing. Can you provide en ETA until this is fixed and published within snapd ? I think we could wait a bit (some weeks) but we don’t want to wait a month or more to get this done. But we could also go with classic for now and I’ll rework the snap and make it strict when snapd got fixed

@toabctl I am not sure about the timeline from snapd team on this issue, maybe it is better to grant classic for now and once the issue gets fixed for the custom-devices, we can work on making it strict as you suggested.

I will start the publisher vetting for this

The requirements for classic confinement for this snap are understood. I have vetted the publisher (a Canonical employee). This is now live.

thanks