Classic confinement request for `dotnet`

Hello,

I would like to request classic confinement for the dotnet snap. A few months ago, Canonical started maintaining the .NET snaps (both the dotnet-sdk snap and the various dotnet-runtime-* content snaps) and, as part of that effort, we created a new .NET snap to replace the dotnet-sdk snap.

The new snap features an installer that manages which versions and components of .NET a user installs in their systems. The source-code for the new .NET snap is available on GitHub. We decided to place this new snap under a new dotnet registration, instead of re-using dotnet-sdk, because, on the new version, a user can not only install the SDK, but also only the .NET and/or ASP.NET Core Runtimes, therefore the naming is no longer fully representational of the snap’s functionality.

As a development framework, .NET will need access to arbitrary system files and resources. Also, the installer tool present in the snap relies on systemd to manage mount points (using systemd-mount) and notifications (using systemd-path) to correctly manage the .NET installation directory hive. It also installs/uninstalls .NET content snaps as different components and versions are requested for install through the installer tool. Hence the need for classic confinement.

I have published an pre-release version of this snap to dotnet, which triggered a classic confinement manual review (revision #6).

1 Like

Require for classic understood so I vetted the publisher. Granting use of classic. This is now live.

1 Like