Classic confinement request: dlang

Hi,

DLang is general-purpose programming language, I have ported the whole development environment to snap (dmd, standard library, dub and tools useful for use with IDE/editors).

I has been released (https://snapcraft.io/dlang) to edge now using my upstream repo https://github.com/ErnyTech/DLang-Snap and https://github.com/ErnyTech/DLang-SnapcraftParts, I’ve created a pull request (https://github.com/ErnyTech/DLang-Snap/pull/1) for the transition to classic that will be merged by me once this request is accepted by the snap team.

I think it’s right to ask permission for the classic confinement to my package (https://snapcraft.io/dlang) because as all the compilers need the access to arbitrary filesystem paths.

I tag those responsible for approving requests on the snap store that have already helped me in the past to solve similar technical requests: @jdstrand and @reviewers.
Sure to receive an answer thanks to your availability, I kind regards
Thanks

Regular bump for request…

I wonder why it is the case.

Because compilers must access system libraries and must be able to use any folder as input/output (and I might want to compile in /tmp)

Ping @jdstrand and @reviewers

Ping @jdstrand and @reviewers

Given we also gave nodejs classic this seems reasonable and consistent.

Error:(NEEDS REVIEW) confinement 'classic' not allowed. If your snap needs classic confinement to function, please make a request for this snap to use classic by creating a new topic in the forum using the 'store' category and detail the technical reasons why classic is required. 

What should I do?

FYI, @Wimpress said he’d take a look at this.

1 Like

I would like to continue the control process for classical confinement

@Wimpress - have you had a chance to take a look at this?

@Wimpress, @popey, @Igor, @evan - can one/all of you take a look at this?

Er … in what way is this different from the existing dmd snap which already exists, and has some measure of official support from the dlang project?

This is officially listed (together with the similar dub snap) on the dlang project page:
https://dlang.org/download.html

@ErnyTech I’m happy that you want to work on snap packages for D, but why are you launching a separate package when one already exists?

(I am the maintainer of the dmd and dub packages, just to be clear.)

I should add: part of why I’m concerned about this is that dlang is the identifier of the publisher of the dmd and dub snaps (which has official endorsement from the D language upstream). So I’m a bit bothered that there is a snap package with the same name, as this could lead to confusion about ownership (despite Ernesto’s nice notes in the package description).

@store - there seems to be something of a name dispute situation here, can someone reach out?

1 Like

I created this package because dmd package was not updated for months, so since I needed a package with updated dlang I decided to create this package

The main differences compared to yours and that mine also includes some useful tools for the use of dlang like dscanner

I have no intention of confusing users in any way, I simply wanted to provide users with an updated dlang package

1 Like

I created this package because dub was not updated for months

Yes, and I apologize for that – as well as being happy to see someone else willing to step up to create and maintain snap packages.

On that note, dub should be up to date (as of 14 February), and dmd should follow shortly (the latest are already available in edge channel, I’m just delayed testing them on non-Ubuntu distros).

What is a bit bothersome though is that no one reached out to me over these concerns. I would happily have accepted pull requests and/or guided people through the process of sharing maintenance on these packages. If it’s not clear how to contact me then I need to understand why so I can address that.

The main differences compared to yours and that mine also includes some useful tools for the use of dlang like dscanner

That’s a nice thought, although I’d question whether they should all be bundled into one. In particular dscanner is separately versioned from dmd so it would be good for it to have its own dedicated package.

(The general principle I applied when creating the snap packages was that different version number => different package, hence why dmd and dub are separated. This is also useful because sometimes stuff that complicates making a new compiler package release, does not block new releases of smaller tools.)

Maybe the best way forward would be for us to discuss how to bring you on board with the official dmd and dub snaps, and to look into creating extra packages for some of the useful tools? :slight_smile:

What is a bit bothersome though is that no one reached out to me over these concerns. I would happily have accepted pull requests and/or guided people through the process of sharing maintenance on these packages. If it’s not clear how to contact me then I need to understand why so I can address that.

I apologize officially for my questionable behavior, unfortunately I did not reason to contact you because I thought that your packages would be permanently abandoned.
Since it makes no sense to keep two packages with the same main purpose I am available to release the package name “dlang”

That’s a nice thought, although I’d question whether they should all be bundled into one. In particular dscanner is separately versioned from dmd so it would be good for it to have its own dedicated package.

I fully understand the motivations

Maybe the best way forward would be for us to discuss how to bring you on board with the official dmd and dub snaps, and to look into creating extra packages for some of the useful tools?

I am available to collaborate to port useful tools to the dlang development environment and your previous packages (dmd and dub)

I apologize again if my actions have caused some annoyance
Feel free to contact me even privately via e-mail (erny.castell@gmail.com) or on Telegram (t.me/ErnyTech)
Thanks

Ernesto Castellotti

1 Like

There’s nothing to apologize for, and no annoyance – everything you’ve done has been from the best of motivations. I’m delighted to be able to collaborate with you on bringing more D stuff to snappy :slight_smile: