Classic confinement for fsearch

Hi, I’m the developer of FSearch, a graphical file search application with some file management functionality (e.g. trash/remove files). In order to function correctly it needs access to the whole filesystem, otherwise it might not be able to find the files the users are interested in. Hence I’d like to request classic confinement for it.

At the moment the sandoxing severally limits the usefulness of the application in a couple of ways.

For example it can’t access most hidden entries (and their children). I don’t think the system-backup interface is a good solution to that, because it’s completely unintuitive for users to search for their files within /var/lib/snapd/hostfs. Also since this is read-only, users won’t be able to manage their files that way.

Another issue is that the sandboxing limits the access to other installed applications, so FSearch can’t populate it’s “Open with” menu with suggested applications.

Kind regards, Christian

If you need any other information about the application, just let me know.

Hey @cboxdoerfer,

Unfortunately as per the Process for reviewing classic confinement snaps file managers do not fit within one of the existing supported categories for classic confinement. You might find some discussions around adding a new category to support this type of requests, but this is not available yet.

In the meantime, do you think fsearch can be granted some accesses to typical file locations in the system and stay under strict confinement?

Unfortunately as per the Process for reviewing classic confinement snaps file managers do not fit within one of the existing supported categories for classic confinement. You might find some discussions around adding a new category to support this type of requests, but this is not available yet.

Thanks for evaluating it. That’s unfortunate.

Until such a new category exists, what is the best way to hide/unlist or remove FSearch from the store? Because right now the Snap version is only causing bad app reviews in the store, due to the limitations and users thinking its the application’s fault that it can’t find their files.

In the meantime, do you think fsearch can be granted some accesses to typical file locations in the system and stay under strict confinement?

I don’t think so, unless it’s possible to grant access to / and all its subfolders. Just like with any file manager I don’t know what locations in particular users want to access.

So it seems it’s not possible to remove a Snap from the store. All I’ve found is the option to make it “Private”. When I do that, will users get a notification about that, or are they going to be stuck on the current release?

@roadmr are you able to advise on the best course of action here?

ping @roadmr, could you please advise on how to remove this snap from the store? Thanks!

I was notified by Canonical that my Snap is using outdated packages with security vulnerabilities. Since I really don’t want to maintain this package anymore and I also don’t want to distribute any dangerous software to users, I’d really appreciate to know, what’s the best way to remove this Snap from the Snapcraft store.

Hi, I can revoke the snap for you, which is the closest we have to getting it actually removed.

Let me know if you’d like me to proceed.

• Daniel