Classic confinement for cool-retro-term snap

Request to set cool-retro-terminal confinement to classic.

Running the terminal in strict confinement and even in devmode only allows partial capability.

Attempting to run system applications (e.g. htop or apt) fail as the snap is unable to access those tools. The snap can only cd to it’s own /home directory and not /home/USER

Current .yaml:

name: cool-retro-term # check to see if it's available
version: '0.6' # this is freakin' awesome
summary: cool-retro-term is a terminal emulator. # 79 char long summary
description: |
  First off, this is freakin' awesome. cool-retro-term is a terminal emulator which mimics the look and feel of the old cathode tube screens. It has been designed to be eye-candy, customizable, and reasonably lightweight.
grade: stable # must be 'stable' to release into candidate/stable channels
confinement: classic # use 'strict' once you have the right plugs

apps:
  cool-retro-term:
    command: desktop-launch $SNAP/usr/bin/cool-retro-term
    desktop: usr/share/applications/cool-retro-term.desktop

parts:
  my-part:
    source: https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term
    source-type: git
    plugin: qmake # See 'snapcraft plugins'
    qt-version: qt5
    after: [desktop-qt5]

build-packages:
      - build-essential 
      - qmlscene 
      - qt5-qmake 
      - qt5-default 
      - qtdeclarative5-dev 

stage-packages: 
      - qmlscene
      - qml-module-qtquick-controls 
      - qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin 
      - libqt5qml-graphicaleffects 
      - qml-module-qtquick-dialogs 
      - qtdeclarative5-localstorage-plugin 
      - qtdeclarative5-window-plugin

You will see in the following video that issuing a couple of commands does not provide the desired result:

https://youtu.be/p7BnNh5TZmc

1 Like

Nice work! I’m keen for this to be upstreamed, so Filippo can own the snap and push to the store himself, rather than wait on you/us for that. I’ve sent a mail to him and you to start that conversation. Thanks for making and testing the yaml!

1 Like

Thanks @popey

Glad you like it. I think getting it to classic confinement will definitely make this snap “rock”.

Ok, so we’ve had a reply from upstream who are willing to accept a PR for the snapcraft.yaml. I’d recommend creating a PR over there and continue the discussion on the PR. We will of course need classic confinement for the up-streamed snap and we can come back here to request that once the PR lands.

1 Like

PR submitted. Awaiting update from developer.

@popey, since it seems we are waiting on upstream, please feel free to ping me when everything is set to grant the declaration.

1 Like

Still awaiting response from upstream regarding the PR and classic confinement.

Users are running into errors with the snap during installation. After several bouts of trouble-shooting/rebuilding the snap with additional stage-packages and plugs, it “works” in --devmode.

However, the snap is not capable of running sudo commands at present; leading me to believe that classic confinement would remedy that problem.

Please advise.

Is the snap now being built from upstream source, rather than a separate repo?

No it is still being built from mine; shall I wait for them?

cool-retro-term author here. Sorry for jumping in so late into this discussion, but here I am for the name ownership migration from (@kz6fittycent to myself) and for the classic confinement approval @popey

Let me know if you need anything else on my side.

3 Likes

Hello all,

After confirming with each party involved, I have transferred the cool-retro-term snap from @kz6fittycent to @Swordfish90.

Regards, Natalia.

3 Likes

@popey - can you comment on the status of this classic request?

@jdstrand I’m +1 on classic for cool-retro-term.

1 Like

Granting use of classic. This is now live.

1 Like

Thank you everyone guys. The latest version is now in stable!

1 Like