Chromium - cannot update snap namespace: cannot expand mount entry (none $HOME/.local/share none x-snapd.kind=ensure-dir,x-snapd.must-exist-dir=$HOME 0 0): cannot use invalid home directory

Hello,

I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 and received this morning an update for snapd and chromium via Ubuntu Software (I’m using the german version). After the updates have been installed, chromium no longer starts. I get this error:

cannot update snap namespace: cannot expand mount entry (none $HOME/.local/share none x-snapd.kind=ensure-dir,x-snapd.must-exist-dir=$HOME 0 0): cannot use invalid home directory "/home/xxxxx": permission denied
snap-update-ns failed with code 1

I uninstalled and reinstalled chomium and restarted the laptop. It still doesn’t work. After re-installation the folder ~/snap/chromium/common is empty.

The other snap software like datagrip or pycharm still works fine.

Any ideas?

Greets Kaytan

Same problem over here. I’m on 22.04. Our home directories look like /home/Something/user_name

I’ve filed a bugreport with ubuntu:

Do you have snapd told about your non-standard home directories using the option it offers for this ?

https://snapcraft.io/docs/system-options#heading--homedirs

Yes, I did:

user_name@computer:~$ sudo snap get system homedirs

[sudo] password for user_name:

/home/Something/

It’s the latest chromium snap update that seems to be the problem: It was working fine last week on this system (I’m using chromium only for specific sites. firefox-esr PPA is my daily driver). And other snaps are still working fine (just like they did last week).

What is ‘snap connections chromium | grep personal-files’? If you disconnect the dot-local-share ones, does Chromium start?

Hi,

Although not on Chromium, I am having the same issue with snap run slack:

cannot update snap namespace: cannot expand mount entry (none $HOME/.config none x-snapd.kind=ensure-dir,x-snapd.must-exist-dir=$HOME 0 0): cannot use invalid home directory "/home/tulhorit": permission denied

When running sudo snap get system homedirs I get my $HOME var correctly, much like @narrenschip’s output:

/home/tulhorit

Not sure if the issue is related or not, but the errors seem similar on (completely) different snap packages. Issue started occurring during today’s morning on a select few amount of snaps, as yesterday I had no issues whatsoever with any of my snap packages.

What could be causing this?

Thanks,

Tulhorit

1 Like

Could everyone here check snap changes ? That might help with further debugging (to see if a snap update was at fault)

I have the same issue:

cannot update snap namespace: cannot expand mount entry (none $HOME/.config none x-snapd.kind=ensure-dir,x-snapd.must-exist-dir=$HOME 0 0): cannot use invalid home directory "/home/xxx": permission denied

snap changes:

ID   Status  Spawn                    Ready                    Summary
667  Done    yesterday at 17:09 CEST  yesterday at 17:09 CEST  Pre-download "chromium" for auto-refresh
668  Done    yesterday at 18:21 CEST  today at 11:44 CEST      Auto-refresh snap "chromium"
670  Done    today at 10:03 CEST      today at 10:04 CEST      Refresh "chromium" snap from "latest/beta" channel
671  Done    today at 10:05 CEST      today at 10:05 CEST      Refresh "chromium" snap from "latest/edge" channel
672  Done    today at 10:11 CEST      today at 10:12 CEST      Refresh "chromium" snap from "latest/stable" channel

I’ve tried various versions (beta, edge) of chromium but none of them worked

Thanks all for the reports, the maintainers are already aware of the issue.

Please refer to Launchpad bug 2061981 for the work-around and if the issue affects you just hit “does this bug affect you” at the top of that page.

3 Likes

The root cause of this issue was identified and fix is on its way. We expect it to be available for testing on edge tomorrow. Details in Launchpad bug 2061981.