Can't run a snap version of Obsidian software on my Opensuse LEAP 15.2

I use Obsidian on my desktop PC with Opensuse Leap 15.2 and absolutely love it. I tried to install it on my laptop with the same distribution. I installed snap and obsidian the same way I did on my desktop. When I try to run Obsidian I get the following error in the terminal:

aleksandr@localhost:~/Desktop> obsidian
2021-05-01 13:08:13 Loading main app package /snap/obsidian/x1/resources/obsidian.asar
No protocol specified
The futex facility returned an unexpected error code.Aborted (core dumped)

I don’t know what it means and couldn’t find the same error in the Internet. Please help me get to the bottom of this.

I am under the assumption you downloaded the snap from their website as I cannot find it on the store. Have you corroborated that the snap is actually the same one? It might be that their latest build is broken.

@Igor do you want to reach out to obsidian to see if we can help with their release flow?

@Alekssan Looking at the store, I can’t see Obsidian anywhere. Can you point me to the source where you got the snap please?

I did download the snap from their website. I have downloaded the same snap I used for my desktop PC.

https://github.com/obsidianmd/obsidian-releases/releases/download/v0.11.13/obsidian_0.11.13_amd64.snap
This is the download link I found on their main webpage.

OK, thanks. I’ll try to replicate the error.

I set up a brand new 15.2 box (KDE) here, and Obsidian runs … 0.o

Did you disable any of the connections via command line perhaps? Have you tried using the GDB server functionality in snapd to get a better understanding of the error - if it’s too technical, then nevermind.

Can you share any errors messages you have from dmesg or your system log that relate to this snap

As I said, obsidian works for me too on another PC with the same distro.
I didn’t find anything related to snap in dmesg output.
I run gdbserver but can’t figure out how debugging works.

Any advice what specific commands I should run to send you guys the output?

Hard to say until we can pinpoint the problem a bit more. Futex typically implies an in-app problem. I’ll do some more testing, see if I can come up with anything. Once you’re inside the gdb interface, type run or cont to get the app running until it crashes - the trace you get will be a useful first starting point (this may also show in syslog, messages, other system logs).

I run gdb server and typed “run” after.
Here is the output:

Can you retry with cont instead of run please?

(gdb) cont
Continuing.
warning: Could not load shared library symbols for linux-vdso.so.1.
Do you need “set solib-search-path” or “set sysroot”?
Missing separate debuginfo for target:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5
Try: zypper install -C “debuginfo(build-id)=d20dc4f7881d9dd170d87fea8eec2a18e4949008”
Missing separate debuginfo for target:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2
Try: zypper install -C “debuginfo(build-id)=c5396cfcf808b3137c70c50f87a21bb9cebd4824”
Missing separate debuginfo for target:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
Try: zypper install -C “debuginfo(build-id)=ce450eb01a5e5acc7ce7b8c2633b02cc1093339e”
process 3309 is executing new program: /bin/bash
Missing separate debuginfo for target:/bin/bash
Try: zypper install -C “debuginfo(build-id)=12f73d7a8e226c663034529c8dd20efec22dde54”
Missing separate debuginfo for target:/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
Try: zypper install -C “debuginfo(build-id)=977c39fe87abfa426d3043f6c8e21f7be3f0e876”

Thread 1 “desktop-init.sh” hit Catchpoint 1 (exec’d /bin/bash), 0x00007f7559ec8090 in ?? () from target:/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

Sorry to be a pain, can you run cont until you get the crash (dump) - I’d like to see what gdb prints when that happens :slight_smile:

You’re not a pain, I am. Thank you for spending your time helping me.