Call for testing: Snippet Pixie

With the addition of placeholders to Snippet Pixie 1.2 I think it’s a good time to concentrate on getting Snippet Pixie working well as a Snap, and I’d really appreciate some help with testing and getting around some issues I’m seeing.

It can be installed from the beta channel with…

sudo snap install snippetpixie --beta

What Is Snippet Pixie?

Save your often used text snippets and then expand them whenever you type their abbreviation.

For example:- “spr`” expands to “Snippet Pixie rules!”

Supports placeholders:-

• Date/Time: Insert the current or calculated date/time with configurable format.
  • Clipboard: Insert the text contents of the clipboard.
  • Snippets: Insert snippets in your snippets!
  • Cursor: Set where the cursor should end up after the snippet has expanded.

All placeholders are delimited (wrapped) by “$$”, with the placeholder name starting with an “@” symbol. For example, today’s date can be inserted with “$$@date$$”.

There’s more info in the GitHub README: https://github.com/bytepixie/snippetpixie

It works, but …

Snippet Pixie relies on accessibility features to work, in particular AT-SPI, which is usually available on popular desktop Linux distributions.

Things like Text Editor work fine, it seems to allow access via AT-SPI, but others aren’t playing ball.

I’m struggling to find information on how to get applications like LibreOffice Writer to allow Snippet Pixie to work with it. I’m seeing a lot of “denied” in the usual logs. Whereas the .deb works with Writer (when libreoffice-gtk3 is installed).

I’m trying to avoid needing classic confinement.

1 Like

FYI, the snippetpixie snap is now classic confined, and available in the candidate channel.

sudo snap install snippetpixie --classic --candidate