Call for testing: snapcraft 3.2

Hello Snapcrafters! The Snapcraft team is delighted to announce that version 3.2 is now available.

The release notes are going to be worked on as testing occurs, the major change that most people want to look into is that this release solves PSA: classic confinement and core snapcraft issue

Among other things, here is the changeset included in this release:

• many: support for stage-snaps (#2468) (LP: #1805214)
  • project loader: do not leak a part’s build-environment (#2472) (LP: #1815658)
  • build providers: remove dead code (#2474)
  • ci: shallow clones for CLA checks on travis (#2477)
  • meta: handle symlinked hooks (#2478)
  • project loader: remove special LD_LIBRARY_FLAGS handling for classic (#2485) (LP: #1817300)
  • sources: avoid marking changes to the snap directory as dirty (#2475) (LP: #1806746, #1816397)
  • cli: clean up snapcraft push output (#2469) (LP: #1804439)
  • cli: handle legitimate provider exec errors (#2483)
  • schema: convert yaml jsonschema document to a json equivalent (#2448)
  • tests: make before/after items an array in schema test (#2465)
  • ruby plugin: support new download URL (#2466) (LP: #1815336)
  • colcon plugin: new plugin (#2456) (LP: #1805213)
  • colcon plugin: support build-time chaining (#2486) (LP: #1816565)

The snapcraft snap for 3.2 currently available in the candidate channel, to try it out run:

$ sudo snap install --candidate --classic snapcraft

Of, if you already have it installed, to try it out run:

$ sudo snap refresh --candidate snapcraft

Note that those running snapcraft cleanbuild to verify that PSA: classic confinement and core snapcraft issue has been properly fixed will not be able to do so, however, they can test the work flow by doing what follows:

lxc launch ubuntu:16.04 --ephemeral test-build
lxc exec test-build -- snap install snapcraft --channel candidate --classic
lxc exec test-build -- apt update
lxc exec test-build -- git clone <repo> project
lxc exec test-build -- sh -c "cd project && snapcraft"
4 Likes

I’ve built several core18 snaps with snapcraft 3.2, revision 2650. I’ve built tootle, Transporter, lp-build-snap, gedit, eog and feedreader. No regressions noticed.

2 Likes

I have also built a bunch of core18 snaps in multipass including dosbox, axel, corsixth, discord, irssi, and get-iplayer with snapcraft 3.2 and some non-core18 in lxd as per cleanbuild instructions at the bottom of the post. All looking good.

2 Likes

MicroK8s is building fine with the patch, thank you!

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/W2hXQmxVq7/

1 Like

OK, considering the implications of not releasing and the fact that there has been no negative feedback, we will proceed to release.

2 Likes

snapcraft is now on the stable channel, here some words describing the release.

2 Likes

I can confirm that this works great for the 3 snaps I’m responsible for (ldc2, dmd and dub). Thanks very much @sergiusens!

4 Likes

When will the snapcraft docker image be updated? I am getting the following error from the travis automated tests:

The command "docker run -v $(pwd):$(pwd) -w $(pwd) snapcore/snapcraft:stable sh -c "apt update && snapcraft"" exited with 2.

I’ve been using it for a while without issues.

Updating those docker images is rather tricky. I will have to request a track for 2.x and rebuild those images pointing to that track.

2 Likes