Call for testing Signal Desktop

Yeah. I had to do that dance too.

The good news is that I’ve fully automated this now. The builds tagged -beta upstream will land in the edge channel, typically within an hour of release. The stable tagged builds will go into the beta channel, also within an hour. The snap advocacy team will get an email when that happens and we’ll test and publish to stable.

Hopefully that reduces the window down so people get the latest crack soon after release.

1 Like

Build 32 seems to have an issue starting up.

$ snap run signal-desktop
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
NODE_ENV production
NODE_CONFIG_DIR /snap/signal-desktop/32/resources/app.asar/config
NODE_CONFIG {}
ALLOW_CONFIG_MUTATIONS undefined
HOSTNAME undefined
NODE_APP_INSTANCE undefined
SUPPRESS_NO_CONFIG_WARNING undefined
Set Windows Application User Model ID (AUMID) { appUserModelId: 'org.whispersystems.signal-desktop' }
userData: /home/user/snap/signal-desktop/32/.config/Signal
making app single instance
{"name":"log","hostname":"hostname","pid":3786,"level":30,"msg":"app ready","time":"2018-05-22T08:03:14.380Z","v":0}
{"name":"log","hostname":"hostname","pid":3786,"level":30,"msg":"Ensure attachments directory exists","time":"2018-05-22T08:03:14.386Z","v":0}
{"name":"log","hostname":"hostname","pid":3786,"level":30,"msg":"Initializing BrowserWindow config: {\"show\":true,\"width\":904,\"height\":692,\"minWidth\":640,\"minHeight\":360,\"autoHideMenuBar\":false,\"webPreferences\":{\"nodeIntegration\":false,\"preload\":\"/snap/signal-desktop/32/resources/app.asar/preload.js\"},\"icon\":\"/snap/signal-desktop/32/resources/app.asar/images/icon_256.png\",\"maximized\":false,\"x\":769,\"y\":269}","time":"2018-05-22T08:03:14.389Z","v":0}
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

log.log only gives me:

{"name":"log","hostname":"hostname","pid":3786,"level":30,"msg":"app ready","time":"2018-05-22T08:03:14.380Z","v":0}
{"name":"log","hostname":"hostname","pid":3786,"level":30,"msg":"Ensure attachments directory exists","time":"2018-05-22T08:03:14.386Z","v":0}

Not sure where I would find this core dump.
The apt version does not have any issues right now.

@Beanow Sorry, only just saw this. Try refreshing the snap and see if it works now?

It updated itself, haven’t had issues since.

1 Like

Hi @popey,
thanks for making signal available as a snap!

Since I am new to this concept, I have a few things that I do not understand yet:

Is the snap available in the snap store (https://snapcraft.io/signal-desktop) yours? I was wondering who made it, since “Snapcrafters” is the developer, but I could not find the repo on https://github.com/snapcrafters.

Also, how is the snap built? As I have understood the information on the snapcraft-build-site the snap is built automatically from a github repo through the snap store. Is that correct?

Thanks,
ferdi

I have answered over at Is the author of a package verified?

Hi popey!

I tried to use signal desktop today, but it simply doesn’t open. When running

snap run signal-desktop

nothing happens. I don’t get any error messages.

Here is the output of snap info signal-desktop. Please let me know if I can help debug the problem.

$ snap info signal-desktop 
name:      signal-desktop
summary:   Signal Private Messenger for Windows, Mac, and Linux
publisher: snapcrafters
license:   unknown
description: |
  Say anything

- Send high-quality group, text, voice, video, document, and picture messages
  anywhere in the world without SMS or MMS fees.

Speak freely

- Make crystal-clear voice and video calls to people who live across town, or
  across the ocean, with no long-distance charges.

Stay private

- Signal messages and calls are always end-to-end encrypted and painstakingly
  engineered to keep your communication safe. We can't read your messages or see
  your calls, and no one else can either.

Control time

- Keep your chat history tidy with messages that you can set to disappear.
  Choose different disappearing message intervals for each conversation.
  Everyone in the thread shares the same setting. Good memories will last even
  if the words vanish.

Free for everyone

- Signal is made for you. As an Open Source project supported by grants and
  donations, Signal can put users first. There are no ads, no affiliate
  marketers, no creepy tracking. Just open technology for a fast, simple, and
  secure messaging experience. The way it should be.
commands:
  - signal-desktop
snap-id:   r4LxMVp7zWramXsJQAKdamxy6TAWlaDD
tracking:  stable
refreshed: 2018-06-15T01:25:19+02:00
installed:   1.12.1        (41) 140MB -
channels:                       
  stable:    1.12.1        (41) 140MB -
  candidate: ↑                        
  beta:      1.12.1        (41) 140MB -
  edge:      1.13.0-beta.1 (42) 140MB -

Odd, it works here. Can you try removing and re-adding the snap?

Hi popey, I have the same problem as ferdi. I tried removing and re-adding the snap to no avail. I also tried installing the edge version snap refresh signal-desktop --edge with the same result:

> snap run signal-desktop           
> echo $?

I am on Fedora 28

Hi popey,

I removed and reinstalled the app using the ubuntu software center and I still have the same problem.

Greetings

Update: After reinstalling I logged out and in again, this time under Ubuntu on X-Server instead of Wayland. Result: Signal started, but after logging out and in again it didn’t work anymore. I could also not reproduce this after another reinstall.

Hi popey,

just a quick update: I am pretty sure that the problem I am having is related to wayland. I installed signal desktop again (after uninstalling from the software center and removing the old snap directory) using the normal X-Server-Ubuntu and it worked (also after restarts). Then, after logging in a wayland session, I cannot launch signal desktop anymore.

Ah! I have never tested it under wayland. I will have a go next week. Thanks!

I just found out that snap completely broke in the meantime (I get errors like “/snap/signal-desktop/55/bin/desktop-launch: line 23: /home/ferdi/.config/user-dirs.dirs: Permission denied” for all my snaps now) so I will check if the problem maybe goes away when I find a fix for that.

Like discord, I can’t use fcitx input. Perhaps the same solution can be used? https://github.com/snapcrafters/discord/issues/32

So this snap is not wokring on wayland ??

That could be advertize so that we (users) don’t try to install it and don’t understand why nothing is showing up.

The --start-in-tray option is not functional in the snap. It does work properly in the flatpak.

@LanceHaverkamp Thanks for letting me know, I’ll look into it!

Signal Desktop’s build process has changed, and the snap packaging needs to be updated according to one of the upstream developers:

1 Like

Just downloaded and installed signal desktop snap and the app looks great, is running but there is a problem with fonts for the window that pops up when clicking on the ‘plus sign’. see screenshot of the window.

Well that’s not good. What is the output of:

snap info signal-desktop

and

snap version

please.