Call for testing: Savage XR - Battle for Newerth (game)

Hi fellow Snapcrafters!

I’ve create a Snap of the RTS/FPS hybrid game Savage XR - Battle for Newerth.

Savage XR, the successor of the 2003 award winning PC game Savage: The Battle for Newerth, takes the best of the Real-time Strategy, First-person Shooter and Third-person Action genres and blends it into a cohesive, complex and addicting experience. Aim of the game is to destroy the enemy base. Savage XR is entirely free and non-profit!

Savage XR is a unique RTS/FPS hybrid game available as Freeware for Windows, Linux and Mac, that can be played either online, on LAN or offline against bots (without commander). Each match of Savage XR takes place on one of over 2000 available maps. A single match has two or more teams, which can be either human or beasts. The goal of the game is to destroy the primary enemy structure - the “Stronghold” for the human race, or the “Lair” for the beast race. Each team has one commander, who plays the game like an RTS, and additional players, who play the game like an FPS (but with a third-person mode for melee). A game can take between 2 and 45 minutes. With each new match all previous progress gets reset.

But it was becoming more and more difficult to install the 32-bit linux client, so I created a Snap to make it easier, the Newerth community wanted to use it too so here we are.

This is the Windows version of Savage XR, re-using the existing Wine Snap (used in Track Mania Nations Forever & Steam) to create the run-time environment.

As per instructions I’ve pushed the devmode to the edge channel and the strict mode to the beta channel.

• sudo snap install savagexr --edge
  • sudo snap install savagexr --beta

Requirements:

• Hardware accelerated OpenGL 2 or better.
  • ~1GB of hard drive space.

Download in total is about 1GB.

During installation please choose the defaults, once installed either leave the Newerth registration blank or enter and register an account name for game statistics recording (wins/looses weapon accuracy etc).

There is (currently) a bug in the human tutorial (they have a fix lined up, just not released yet) which you can avoid by immediately mining some Red Stone and taking it to the Strong Hold.

Edit: Daemon has rolled out the fixes for the Human Tutorial so you can ignore the above.

I’m curious why you chose to package the Windows version in WINE rather than package the native client?

1 Like

Snapcraft page is:

Repo:

Hi Daniel,

I quite simply could not get the Linux Client to work correctly in a Snap. The AutoUpdater seg faults and I could not trace why (suspect that its the graphical progress bar rendering, as if you examine the AutoUpdater logs you can see that it does download some patches before the seg fault). Then there is an odd issue with Python 2.7, loads of the internal scripting starts throwing errors (even though it has clearly found Python and the libs are in the correct location). If you copy an already updated version of Savage XR into the Snap the game will run (with Python errors and no audio).

Then the Linux Client also needs “maintenance” after the AutoUpdater has actually updated something, as it restores a few libs which stop Savage XR from running.

You can find my attempt here if your interested:

However within 15 minutes of modifying the existing Steam Client Snap the Windows Client of Savage XR worked first time.