Call for testing: protonmail-bridge

Hi!

I’ve recently created snaps for the Proton Mail and Proton Pass Electron clients. Now, I tried to snap the Proton Mail Bridge application. This allows you to use local email clients to access your Proton Mail account. Check out the snap under protonmail-bridge and my repository for the snap on GitHub at pedro-avalos/protonmail-bridge-snap. Right now it’s only released under the latest/beta channel.

One major issue I ran into with the snapcrafters template is that the kde-neon-6 extension seems to break the automated CI for pushing releases… This seems to be an upstream issue with the snapcraft schema, which does not recognize the kde-neon-6 extension.

Here are some of my questions/concerns/comments that I can think of:

• The upstream project relies on the keychain service, so I’ve added a notice on the store page and the repo because I know that autoconnecting that plug is not allowed. That should be fine for now, but I’d like to find a more intuitive way to notify/prompt the user with the right error message (the app will warn the user, but it will suggest installing the keychain packages instead of connecting a snap plug)
  • I created a branch to investigate whether we can build the package from source. It requires some minor patching, but it would allow for a more integrated way of changing the notification mentioned above.
  • Last I tested this snap, it seemed like I needed both the gnome and kde-neon-6 extension for my application to get the right color theme on Gnome (i.e. dark vs light). Is this really the case? EDIT: the upstream app does not seem to respect the dark/light theme on the app itself, you have to manually set that; I am referring to the border/window decoration.

I’m am newer to the KDE/Qt framework, so I’d really appreciate some feedback (and help, if you’re willing).

1 Like