Call for testing: OpenToonz snap

muhaha! yep, that worked :smiley:

snap install opentoonz --candidate opentoonz (candidate) 1.2.0 from ‘snapcrafters’ installed

o/

1 Like

ubuntu 16.04

mowar issues https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz/issues/2031

1 Like

Hi, When will these versions be available in stable mode?

We tested the snap (and the appimage) with a Genius WizardPen 4x3 tablet. We reproduced this input lag, and it seems like an upstream issue. Not specific to the snap.

I’ll update the build and push to stable later next week I think.

2 Likes

not for me to say, but theres something else a-foot with this program.

I have pushed a new build of OpenToonz 1.2.1. This was built on an 18.04 machine and is thus based on core base18. This is a first for me, so I’m keen to know if it installs / launches / operates as expected! :smiley:

Track    Arch    Channel    Version    Revision
latest   amd64   stable     -          -
                 candidate  1.2.1      11
                 beta       ^          ^
                 edge       1.2.1      11

hi, I’m not particularly using the snap but after seeing somes complains about the FFmpeg not working I made some tests, and it really inst working both on the Standard and the Morevna Edition snaps. The Morevna Edition appimage works after installing the ffmpeg from apt-get and setting the FFmpeg Path inside OT to /usr/bin, but for some reason the snap refuses to use the ffmpeg, resulting in the impossibility to export into mp4 or any other video format.

Anyway it is great that theres a easy way to install OT on ubuntu, you guys are doing a great job :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve spent some time today updating the snap and will hopefully push to the store this evening. I’ve bumped it to build against 18.04 and included ffmpeg as suggested. I’ll also make similar changes to the morevna build too.

1 Like

Ok, revision 14 (amd64) is now in stable. Built against core18 (so Ubuntu 18.04). i386 build to follow later.

unfortunately ffmpeg still inst working here and i cant figure why, can you confirm if export for mp4/gif/webm is working for you? thanks

Apologies for the delay, I missed the notification for this thread.

If you go to File -> Preferences and open the Import/Export options, set the ffmpeg path to /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ffmpeg - it should work. Let me know if it doesn’t.

It did not work, theres any way to make OT recognize my system ffmpeg installation?

I tried this as well, unfortunately AppArmor service still denies it. I think based on standard policy settings for snap it filters out bin and lib directories.

When using the browser in OT to pick the folder, it cannot navigate to the folder. If OT cannot navigate to it, it cannot get to it even if you just type in the path without browsing for it.

I’m not familiar with snap security, but is there a way you can you set up an AppArmor policy specifically for snap.opentoonz.opentoonz (I think) to use “complain” mode? Curently, on Ubuntu, the policy is set to “enforced”, but I think its inheriting it from the snap policy.

When you say “doesn’t work”, what actually happens?

The directory selection dialog always fails with “The input folder path is invalid” error message and the audit log shows that the application attempt to access random top-level directories and as a result get a denial:

[97803.772237] audit: type=1400 audit(1556418141.285:1446): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.opentoonz.opentoonz" name="/etc/" pid=16282 comm="OpenToonz" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=12345 ouid=0
[97807.520837] audit: type=1400 audit(1556418145.033:1447): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.opentoonz.opentoonz" name="/sbin/" pid=16282 comm="OpenToonz" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=12345 ouid=0

The problem might be that the paths between /snap/…/current isn’t really accessible by the application and the file system traverse attempt failed.

Even when you force the FFmpeg path by throw in the /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin value into the textbox OpenToonz still complain about FFmpeg not found with more denial errors with unrelated paths:

[98105.899039] audit: type=1400 audit(1556418443.410:1455): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.opentoonz.opentoonz" name="/meta/" pid=16282 comm="OpenToonz" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=12345 ouid=0
[98105.899053] audit: type=1400 audit(1556418443.410:1456): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.opentoonz.opentoonz" name="/mnt/" pid=16282 comm="OpenToonz" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=12345 ouid=0
[98105.899055] audit: type=1400 audit(1556418443.410:1457): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.opentoonz.opentoonz" name="/opt/" pid=16282 comm="OpenToonz" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=12345 ouid=0
[98105.900637] audit: type=1400 audit(1556418443.414:1458): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.opentoonz.opentoonz" name="/run/" pid=16282 comm="OpenToonz" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=12345 ouid=0
[98105.900640] audit: type=1400 audit(1556418443.414:1459): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.opentoonz.opentoonz" name="/sbin/" pid=16282 comm="OpenToonz" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=12345 ouid=0

This is exactly what I was seeing in the logs. Even if you put the ffmpeg in a folder that opentoonz can get to, AppArmor will still deny the request to access it.

The only way I was able to get opentoonz to read the path and run ffmpeg successfully was to remove all the AppArmor profiles and readd the snapd profile in “complain” mode. This is only temporary until the next reboot. Obviously this is not ideal nor something users should really be playing with.

There is something wrong with the snap. Like @Lin-Buo-Ren said, for some reason it is trying to access all kinds of top-level directories it doesn’t actually need access to. /meta/ is particularly interesting since that isn’t an LSB directory but it is within the snap’s runtime. You could perhaps solve this with layouts, but it really feels like that would just be papering over the bug that is causing this.

You might try installing the snap in --devmode which puts AppArmor in complain mode while you debug this.

1 Like

Hi all

Is there a way to make ffmpeg work finally?

I have noticed that the program ffmpeg included in the snap has problem when launched from terminal.

$ /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ffmpeg
/snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libavdevice.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ ls -al /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ff*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 272528 Apr 24 2019 /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ffmpeg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 137376 Apr 24 2019 /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ffplay
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 161944 Apr 24 2019 /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ffprobe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 142608 Apr 24 2019 /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ffserver

I have logged an issue here (i did not know about this forum before):

I have replied on the github issue.

1 Like