Call for testing: OpenToonz snap

Call for testing: OpenToonz snap

According to the OpenToonz wiki, OpenToonz is "a 2D animation program released on March 26, 2016, as a free, open source version of the Toonz software used by professional animation studios such as Studio Ghibli. "

I looked into making a snap of OpenToons a long time back and I was recently reminded I hadn’t published it, so here it is.

How to install

snap install opentoonz --candidate

Notes

• This snap should work on all supported Ubuntu releases from 14.04 through 18.04 and 18.10 (dev), and indeed should work on any snap-supported distro. Feedback welcome.
  • I haven’t heavily used OpenToons, but have poked at most parts of the user interface, and would appreciate feedback on any parts that don’t work as expected.
  • As with most snaps, the default storage location is $HOME/snap/opentoonz/current but you can open scenes from your home directory too. If you store them on removable media then you may want to:-

snap connect opentoonz:removable-media

Sources

The yaml is over in this snapcrafters repo, pull requests welcome, as always. I’ve hooked it up through build.snapcraft.io but I haven’t tested on anything other than my amd64 system.

Reported issues so far

• It’s slow to start - the opentoons shell script (supplied by upstream) does a little copying of files around before the application itself launches. That’s part of the reason for the slow first start.
  • Can’t find ffmpeg. The application uses ffmpeg to render out video. ffmpeg is shipped in the snap, but OpenToonz can’t find it. Simply go to File -> Preferences (or press CTRL+U) then select Import/Export and in the field FFMPEG Path, enter the following, manually. /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin or /snap/opentoonz-morevna/current/usr/bin if you’re using the OpenToonz - Morevna edition. Close and re-open OpenToonz and you should be able to render out MP4 video now.
4 Likes

Bonus!

I have also created a snap of OpenToonz - Morevna Edition - which is a popular fork of OpenToonz. You can install and run them side-by-side.

snap install opentoonz-morevna --candidate

You’ll see a separate menu item, branded differently.

The source for the snap is in the opentoonz-morevna repo on snapcrafters. As always, issues and pull requests most welcome!

3 Likes

i get a 401 error but probably not related to the snap but them store? o_O

snap install opentoonz --candidate
error: cannot perform the following tasks:

1 Like

if i open the snap link in the browser then i can download it in the browser but then i have to manually install it o_O

snap 2.32.9
snapd 2.32.9
series 16
ubuntu 16.04
kernel 4.13.0-41-generic

Does it happen every time? Like, if you remove and re-install the snap does it happen? Also, is it just this snap or are others affected? I don’t see anything on the https://status.snapcraft.io/ page. But I have seen this error last week.

it’s the same with all the snaps

snap install qcomicbook buka vectr mapscii

snap remove balls2
balls2 removed
snap install balls2

i also restarted the PC and it’s the same

i’ll try later on 18.04

Can you try snap logout and snap login and see if that fixes the downloads?

2 Likes

muhaha! yep, that worked :smiley:

snap install opentoonz --candidate opentoonz (candidate) 1.2.0 from ‘snapcrafters’ installed

o/

1 Like

ubuntu 16.04

mowar issues https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz/issues/2031

1 Like

Hi, When will these versions be available in stable mode?

We tested the snap (and the appimage) with a Genius WizardPen 4x3 tablet. We reproduced this input lag, and it seems like an upstream issue. Not specific to the snap.

I’ll update the build and push to stable later next week I think.

2 Likes

not for me to say, but theres something else a-foot with this program.

I have pushed a new build of OpenToonz 1.2.1. This was built on an 18.04 machine and is thus based on core base18. This is a first for me, so I’m keen to know if it installs / launches / operates as expected! :smiley:

Track    Arch    Channel    Version    Revision
latest   amd64   stable     -          -
                 candidate  1.2.1      11
                 beta       ^          ^
                 edge       1.2.1      11

hi, I’m not particularly using the snap but after seeing somes complains about the FFmpeg not working I made some tests, and it really inst working both on the Standard and the Morevna Edition snaps. The Morevna Edition appimage works after installing the ffmpeg from apt-get and setting the FFmpeg Path inside OT to /usr/bin, but for some reason the snap refuses to use the ffmpeg, resulting in the impossibility to export into mp4 or any other video format.

Anyway it is great that theres a easy way to install OT on ubuntu, you guys are doing a great job :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve spent some time today updating the snap and will hopefully push to the store this evening. I’ve bumped it to build against 18.04 and included ffmpeg as suggested. I’ll also make similar changes to the morevna build too.

1 Like

Ok, revision 14 (amd64) is now in stable. Built against core18 (so Ubuntu 18.04). i386 build to follow later.

unfortunately ffmpeg still inst working here and i cant figure why, can you confirm if export for mp4/gif/webm is working for you? thanks

Apologies for the delay, I missed the notification for this thread.

If you go to File -> Preferences and open the Import/Export options, set the ffmpeg path to /snap/opentoonz/current/usr/bin/ffmpeg - it should work. Let me know if it doesn’t.