Call for testing: mattermost-desktop 5.1.0

Hey!

The mattermost-desktop snap has been having some difficulty moving forward to core20 and the later 5.x releases, but I’m pleased to say that I think we’ve cracked it!

You can test Mattermost 5.1.0 by installing from edge today - we welcome any feedback!

# Install fresh
sudo snap install mattermost-desktop --channel edge
# Refresh from existing
sudo snap refresh mattermost-desktop --channel edge

Thanks to @jamesh, @mardy and @sergiusens for their assistance getting this sorted!

Cheers, Jon

3 Likes

Just tried it, seems to work well. I do have a very shared indicator now

I switched the tray icon theme to Dark under Settings and it is all good now. I suspect that maybe this could be related to the base change and new GNOME stack kicking in; any thoughts @kenvandine?

Is there any prospect of removing DISABLE_WAYLAND? I’ve run other Electron apps on Wayland…

it depends on whether mattermost-desktop from upstream uses a new enough electron.

I can take a look at this - will experiment over the next few days as time allows :slight_smile:

Thanks, I tried unsquashing and removing DISABLE_WAYLAND from edge. After that mattermost-desktop --ozone-platform=wayland appears to be working.

Interesting - I’ve started playing here:

But am getting an odd issue where the window decorations aren’t rendered. the PR is probably safe to merge either way. I’d like to use --ozone-platform-hint=auto, but I don’t think they’re passing that through to the electron runtime from what I can tell.

Correction:

mattermost-desktop --enable-features=WaylandWindowDecorations --ozone-platform=wayland

So that works… kinda… the window decorations definitely aren’t right

Hmm, looked OK to me…

…but I’ve hijacked the thread. Sorry.

I just wanted the DISABLE_WAYLAND removed so that this stuff can be tested easily. By default it will still start using X11 because that’s what Electron does. (Making Wayland the default is a whole other story that I don’t suggest is ready.)

1 Like

LTGM

I’ve been using for a day now and not noticed any problems that were not of my own making

Would be even better with the, hopefully benign, DISABLE_WAYLAND request included.

That PR merged, so a snap with no DISABLE_WAYLAND should land on edge shortly :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re at about 550 installs on candidate now with no reports of bugs/errors, and it’s been stable for me so I’ll bump into stable today.

For those crazy enough to try the Wayland native support on edge out:

$ diff /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/mattermost-desktop_mattermost-desktop.desktop ~.local/share/applications/
4c4
< Exec=env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/mattermost-desktop_mattermost-desktop.desktop /snap/bin/mattermost-desktop %U
---
> Exec=env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/mattermost-desktop_mattermost-desktop.desktop /snap/bin/mattermost-desktop --enable-features=WaylandWindowDecorations --ozone-platform=wayland %U
7c7
< Icon=/snap/mattermost-desktop/514/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/mattermost-desktop.png
---
> Icon=/snap/mattermost-desktop/current/usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/mattermost-desktop.png

It is usable, but there are definitely some issues, so it isn’t ready for default