Call for testing: libreoffice 6.1.0

Call for testing: libreoffice 6.1.0

Description

LibreOffice is a free and open source office suite, developed by The Document Foundation. The LibreOffice suite comprises programs for word processing, the creation and editing of spreadsheets, slideshows, diagrams and drawings, working with databases, and composing mathematical formulae.

This is a major new version.

lo

How to install

snap install libreoffice --candidate

or

snap refresh libreoffice --candidate

Note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove ā€œlibreoffice*ā€
sudo apt autoremove

Requested Setups

At the moment that version of the snap is available for amd64 processors only. It is expected to work on any linux distribution that supports snaps, including Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 17.10 and 18.04.

Known issues

Known bugs are tracked on launchpad.

Specific Tests

Iā€™m interested in your feedback on any tasks you perform using all the apps in the libreoffice suite.
Please report any issues you encounter while testing that version in this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

Just installed this in my Ubuntu 18.04 using GNOME + Wayland and seems to work fine. The only problem that I see is that my system is configured in Catalan and that language seems not included in libreOffice snap.

By the way, is there any item in the snap roadmap to support specific languages for all the snaps installed?

Thanks!!

Thanks @pachulo for testing. I have added catalan to the list of languages in the snap, it is now rebuilding and an update should be available for you to try out in the candidate channel later today.

I am not aware of any specific work item in the snap roadmap regarding language support, as far as I know this is still a per-snap thing.

Revision 79 in the candidate channel has Catalan localization.
@pachulo please test and confirm that everything that you expect is there. Thanks!

Installed it and now itā€™s showing in Catalan OK. Thanks for this and for the info!

Thanks for the feedback!
I have promoted libreoffice 6.1.0 to the stable channel.

@oSoMoN

The snap does not contain all DB drivers. Specifically the postgresql one is missing. I get the error.

The connection to the external data source cannot be established. 
No SDBC driver was found for the URL
'sdbc:postgresql:postgresql://1.2.3.4:5432/MyDataBase 

Is there any way to manually add driver packages ? The package you normally install is

libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql

===

Edit:

For reference these are the files you need to include.

libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libpostgresql-sdbc-impllo.so
libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libpostgresql-sdbclo.so
libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/postgresql-sdbc.ini
libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/services/postgresql-sdbc.rdb
libreoffice-sdbc-postgresql: /usr/lib/libreoffice/share/registry/postgresql.xcd

Please consider this as a matter of urgency or the snap of Libreoffice 6.1. Base is unusable.

When I open an image that is on the home with LibreOffice Draw, it opens it in read-only mode.
Ubuntu 18.10 full update

LibreOffice info:

snap info libreoffice
name: libreoffice
summary: LibreOffice is a powerful office suite including word processing and creation of spreadsheets,
slideshows and databases
publisher: Canonicalāœ“
contact: http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/community-support/
license: unset
description: |
LibreOffice is a powerful office suite ā€“ its clean interface and feature-rich tools help you
unleash your creativity and enhance your productivity. LibreOffice includes several applications
that make it the most powerful Free and Open Source office suite on the market: Writer (word
processing), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (vector graphics and flowcharts),
Base (databases), and Math (formula editing).
commands:

• libreoffice.base
  • libreoffice.calc
  • libreoffice.draw
  • libreoffice.filebug
  • libreoffice.impress
  • libreoffice
  • libreoffice.math
  • libreoffice.writer
    snap-id: CpUkI0qPIIBVRsjy49adNq4D6Ra72y4v
    tracking: stable
    refresh-date: 2 days ago, at 21:26 CEST
    channels:
    stable: 6.1.2.1 (86) 501MB -
    candidate: 6.1.2.1 (86) 501MB -
    beta: ā†‘
    edge: ā†‘
    installed: 6.1.2.1 (86) 501MB -

snapd info:

snap --version
snap 2.35.4+18.10
snapd 2.35.4+18.10
series 16
ubuntu 18.10
kernel 4.18.0-8-generic

Log:

ott 13 14:17:27 emanuc org.gnome.Nautilus[2582]: ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/emanu/snap/libreoffice/86/snap/libreoffice/86/Documentiā€™: No such file or directory
ott 13 14:17:27 emanuc org.gnome.Nautilus[2582]: ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/emanu/snap/libreoffice/86/snap/libreoffice/86/Scrivaniaā€™: No such file or directory
ott 13 14:17:27 emanuc org.gnome.Nautilus[2582]: ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/emanu/snap/libreoffice/86/snap/libreoffice/86/Scaricatiā€™: No such file or directory
ott 13 14:17:27 emanuc org.gnome.Nautilus[2582]: ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/emanu/snap/libreoffice/86/snap/libreoffice/86/Musicaā€™: No such file or directory
ott 13 14:17:27 emanuc org.gnome.Nautilus[2582]: ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/emanu/snap/libreoffice/86/snap/libreoffice/86/Immaginiā€™: No such file or directory
ott 13 14:17:27 emanuc org.gnome.Nautilus[2582]: ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/emanu/snap/libreoffice/86/snap/libreoffice/86/Videoā€™: No such file or directory
ott 13 14:17:27 emanuc org.gnome.Nautilus[2582]: ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/emanu/snap/libreoffice/86/snap/libreoffice/86/Pubbliciā€™: No such file or directory
ott 13 14:17:27 emanuc org.gnome.Nautilus[2582]: ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/emanu/snap/libreoffice/86/snap/libreoffice/86/Modelliā€™: No such file or directory
ott 13 14:17:32 emanuc audit[11294]: AVC apparmor=ā€œDENIEDā€ operation=ā€œmknodā€ profile=ā€œsnap.libreoffice.writerā€ name=2F686F6D652F656D616E752F2E7E6C6F636B2E53636865726D6174612064656C20323031382D31302D31332031342D30372D34342E706E6723 pid=11294 comm=ā€œsoffice.binā€ requested_mask=ā€œcā€ denied_mask=ā€œcā€ fsuid=1000 ouid=1000
ott 13 14:17:32 emanuc kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1539433052.575:134): apparmor=ā€œDENIEDā€ operation=ā€œmknodā€ profile=ā€œsnap.libreoffice.writerā€ name=2F686F6D652F656D616E752F2E7E6C6F636B2E53636865726D6174612064656C20323031382D31302D31332031342D30372D34342E706E6723 pid=11294 comm=ā€œsoffice.binā€ requested_mask=ā€œcā€ denied_mask=ā€œcā€ fsuid=1000 ouid=1000

Interfaces:

snap interfaces libreoffice
Slot Plug
:cups-control firefox,libreoffice,okular,thunderbird
:desktop brave,clementine,firefox,gimp,gnome-logs,libreoffice,okular,opera,snap-store,spotify,sweethome3d-homedesign,telegram-desktop,thunderbird,vlc
:gsettings brave,firefox,gimp,gnome-logs,keepassxc,libreoffice,opera,snap-store,spotify,telegram-desktop,thunderbird
:home brave,clementine,firefox,gimp,gnome-logs,gwenview,keepassxc,libreoffice,okular,spotify,sweethome3d-homedesign,telegram-desktop,thunderbird,vlc
:network brave,clementine,firefox,gimp,gnome-logs,gwenview,keepassxc,libreoffice,okular,opera,snap-store,spotify,sweethome3d-homedesign,telegram-desktop,thunderbird,vlc
:network-bind clementine,gwenview,keepassxc,libreoffice,okular,telegram-desktop,vlc
:opengl brave,firefox,gimp,gwenview,keepassxc,libreoffice,okular,opera,spotify,sweethome3d-homedesign,thunderbird,vlc
:pulseaudio brave,clementine,firefox,gwenview,libreoffice,okular,opera,spotify,telegram-desktop,thunderbird,vlc
:removable-media clementine,firefox,gimp,keepassxc,libreoffice,sweethome3d-homedesign,telegram-desktop,thunderbird,vlc
:screen-inhibit-control brave,clementine,firefox,libreoffice,opera,vlc
:unity7 brave,clementine,firefox,gimp,gnome-logs,gwenview,keepassxc,libreoffice,okular,opera,snap-store,spotify,telegram-desktop,thunderbird,vlc
:wayland brave,gimp,gnome-logs,keepassxc,libreoffice,snap-store,spotify
gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes gnome-logs,libreoffice,snap-store,thunderbird
gtk-common-themes:icon-themes gnome-logs,libreoffice,snap-store,thunderbird
gtk-common-themes:sound-themes gnome-logs,libreoffice,snap-store,thunderbird

•                           libreoffice:bluez
1 Like

Sorry, your request somehow slipped through my net. I have filed bug #1797942 to track it.

What kind of image, what is the file type? Is this behaving any differently than the libreoffice deb packages (which are installed by default in Ubuntu)?

Yes, I had to install libreoffice from the ā€œ.debā€ repository to edit the image.
The file is a ā€œ.pngā€ image created by a screenshot.

Ok, now I see what you mean. It would have helped if you had mentioned the dialog box that explains that the lock file cannot be created. Anyway, this is another occurence of bug #1766192, so this is a known issue.

1 Like

And as a workaround, you can try moving that PNG file to a subfolder of $HOME.

I made a screenshot, saved on the home, right click on the image, open with, select LibreOffice 6.1 which is the snap version, warning message that the file is read-only.

Is there any hopes it will be resolved in the next update? Kinda makes the LO snap unusable for me.

I had libreoffice installed on Ubuntu 18.04 via Snap and found the following limitation.

I have a folder owned by ā€œroot:compartidoā€ with permissions 775. My user belongs to the group ā€œcompartidoā€ and is unable to write on it from libreoffice.

Is this a limitation of the snapped libreoffice? I have had no trouble to write files inside the folder using a repository installed libreoffice via apt.

Thanks in advance.

Where is that folder located/mounted?

snap run libreoffice

"ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Documentsā€™: No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Desktopā€™: No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Downloadsā€™: No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Musicā€™: No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Picturesā€™: No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Videosā€™: No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Publicā€™: No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link ā€˜/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Templatesā€™: No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: 02:08:50.975: Failed to load module ā€œunity-gtk-moduleā€
Gtk-Message: 02:08:51.016: Failed to load module ā€œcanberra-gtk-moduleā€
Gtk-Message: 02:08:51.019: Failed to load module ā€œcanberra-gtk-moduleā€
"
it is trying create symlinks with unreasonable paths /home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/snap/libreoffice/90/Templates

which should be:
/home/user/snap/libreoffice/90/Templates

snap 2.36.1
snapd 2.36.1
series 16
ubuntu 16.04
kernel 4.15.0-15-generic

disconnected interfaces:
libreoffice:bluez

•                           libreoffice:cups-control

•                           libreoffice:network

•                           libreoffice:network-bind

•                           libreoffice:pulseaudio

•                           libreoffice:removable-media

libreoffice 6.1.3.2 90 stable canonicalāœ“

This is a known issue, although Iā€™m still not sure what causes it.

Just installed the snap package on Ubuntu 18.04 and it works well and is really fast (responsive) when using it.

I could not figure out a way to enable the Greek (el) interface. Can you add the Greek interface to the snap?

Cheers!