Call for testing: libreoffice 6.0.5

Call for testing: libreoffice 6.0.5

Description

LibreOffice is a free and open source office suite, developed by The Document Foundation. The LibreOffice suite comprises programs for word processing, the creation and editing of spreadsheets, slideshows, diagrams and drawings, working with databases, and composing mathematical formulae.

This is a minor update.

lo

How to install

snap install libreoffice --candidate

or

snap refresh libreoffice --candidate

Note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove “libreoffice*”
sudo apt autoremove

Requested Setups

At the moment that version of the snap is available for amd64 processors only. It is expected to work on any linux distribution that supports snaps, including Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 17.10 and 18.04.

Known issues

Known bugs are tracked on launchpad.

Specific Tests

I’m interested in your feedback on any tasks you perform using all the apps in the libreoffice suite.
Please report any issues you encounter while testing that version in this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

I just published a new revision in the candidate channel (67) that addresses bug #1766192.

I’m interested in your feedback!

with communitheme:

1 Like

The patch removes the leading dot from the lock file name; but this makes it visible in Nautilus.
Wouldn’t it be better to change it from .~lock.FILENAME to FILENAME.lock~?
Files with a trailing tilde in their name are hidden by Nautilus.

That’s an interesting suggestion, I wasn’t aware that Nautilus hid files with a trailing tilde by default.
That would require a more invasive patch though, because libreoffice uses a base class called LockFileCommon for file locking, and the constructor for that class takes a filename prefix, not a suffix. I’ll experiment with this anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

This is a known issue.

1 Like

I just noted that LockFileCommon() also adds a trailing #: the default lock file name actually is .~lock.FILENAME#.
Now, if only that # became a ~
I really don’t know if the trailing # has a meaning for LibreOffice, though.

you can save files on the desktop <3

I don’t know either, and I wasn’t able to infer that from the libreoffice git history (the trailing # has been there for at least 10 years). I am going to inquire on the libreoffice development mailing list. In the meantime, here is a tentative patch that replaces the trailing # by a ~, a snap is currently building with the updated patch.

I have now removed the tentative patch for bug #1766192. There are ongoing discussions on how to best address this issue, until then I’d rather not include a half-baked patch.

The latest revision in the candidate channel (68) fixes bug #1781995 (prevent screen blanking when watching a fullscreen presentation).

Please test and share your feedback here.

libreoffice 6.0.5.2 is now in the stable channel. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

This version also fixes https://github.com/ubuntu/gtk-communitheme/issues/350.