Call for testing: GIMP

You should be able to do it without switch, just snap refresh gimp --edge? :slight_smile: (for info, maybe you know that’s possible!) :slight_smile:

Thanks, that’s great and helpful.
I’m just getting going with using snaps and with the availability of the minimal installer I am loving it. I have about 15 (totally non-technical) individuals or groups I’ve switched to Ubuntu and always struggled with how to best keep their most important apps up to date. Once I start moving them to Bionic in July I am seriously considering moving everything possible to snaps.

2 Likes

I would like to inform you that GIMP 2.10.6 has released.

2 Likes

it seems that we will never have gimp as a snap and we will have to use .flatpak

Unfortunately, there’s some technical issue we have to deal with in order to ship 2.10.6.

Please test the build of 2.10.6 in edge:

sudo snap refresh --channel=edge gimp

I see from my limited testing that some of the plugins aren’t working in this build due to being unable to find python…

1 Like

sane here, 2.10.6 on ubuntu 16.04

~$ snap run gimp
2018/08/24 11:00:28.324267 main.go:192: cannot change mount namespace of snap “gimp” according to change mount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/local/share/fonts /usr/local/share/fonts none bind,ro 0 0): cannot create writable mimic over “/usr/”: cannot create directory “/tmp/.snap”: permission denied
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/home/pixel/snap/gimp/47/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini’: File exists
Gtk-Message: 11:00:59.479: Failed to load module “overlay-scrollbar”
Gtk-Message: 11:00:59.480: Failed to load module “gail”
Gtk-Message: 11:00:59.480: Failed to load module “atk-bridge”
Gtk-Message: 11:00:59.537: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
Missing fast-path babl conversion detected, Implementing missing babl fast paths
accelerates GEGL, GIMP and other software using babl, warnings are printed on
first occurance of formats used where a conversion has to be synthesized
programmatically by babl based on format description

WARNING missing babl fast path(s): “R’G’B’ double” to “CIE Lab double”
/snap/gimp/47/usr/bin/gimp: Gimp-Widgets-WARNING: parse_iso_codes: error parsing ‘/build/gimp/parts/gimp/install/usr/share/xml/iso-codes/iso_639.xml’: No such file or directory

GIMP-Error: Skipping ‘/home/pixel/snap/gimp/47/.config/GIMP/2.10/pluginrc’: wrong GIMP protocol version.

WARNING missing babl fast path(s): “cairo-ARGB32” to “R’G’B’A u8”

jorge@jorge-Lenovo-ideapad-110-15ISK:~$ snap run gimp
Gtk-Message: 02:07:31.980: Failed to load module “gail”
Gtk-Message: 02:07:31.980: Failed to load module “atk-bridge”
Gtk-Message: 02:07:31.983: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
Missing fast-path babl conversion detected, Implementing missing babl fast paths
accelerates GEGL, GIMP and other software using babl, warnings are printed on
first occurance of formats used where a conversion has to be synthesized
programmatically by babl based on format description

WARNING missing babl fast path(s): “R’G’B’ double” to “CIE Lab double”
/snap/gimp/47/usr/bin/gimp: Gimp-Widgets-ADVERTENCIA: parse_iso_codes: error parsing ‘/build/gimp/parts/gimp/install/usr/share/xml/iso-codes/iso_639.xml’: No such file or directory

WARNING missing babl fast path(s): “cairo-ARGB32” to “R’G’B’A u8”

(gimp:14717): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 02:07:49.261: Error creating IO channel for /proc/self/mountinfo: Permission denied (g-file-error-quark, 2)

With Ubuntu 18.04.1

the console output tells me nothing about whether it is usable… does it work?

Launchable and have the same outcome as your’s as well. Unfortunately, I’m not really a GIMP user and can’t provide more feedback.

gimp use core18???

yes. is that a problem?

1 Like

Nope, I just did not know how it was installed
Will there be a change from core to core18?

indeed there are … core18 is a lot smaller than core (16) was, it has newer binaries and libs included.

but for you as a user that is not relevant, snaps that need core18 will simply quietly install it alongside when you install a snap needing it.

2 Likes

it’s interesting. @popey reported that usage of the core18 snap went up considerably once I released the new GIMP based on it. There are a LOT of GIMP users out there! :smiley:

5 Likes

Current Gimp 2.10.6 snap is unusable with many plugins.
I’ve opened up an issue for G’MIC on both sides, the G’MIC maintainer says he doesn’t know how to fix that. From my limited testing it seems that Gimp snap doesn’t expose many deps from the system and gimp itself to the plugin.

2 Likes

Hi @lucyllewy,

I wanted to know If you had made any progress in getting Gimp snap upstreamed?
I went by Gimp’s Irc, and we couldn’t find if there had been any communication. If there’s been contact, can you point me in the right direction? Maybe I can follow up and offer to help.

Thanks,
-Alex

2 Likes

Feel free to advise if I should start a new post but…
I’m tracking edge and last time I tried to start GIMP it had updated to 2.10.14 and I am now getting the following error

I admittedly don’t know much about anything but am willing to try something or provide more information if anyone has suggestions.

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/dennis/snap/gimp/234/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini': File exists
../babl/babl-internal.h:214 babl_log()
	WARNING: the babl installation seems broken, no extensions found in queried
BABL_PATH (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/babl-0.1) this means no SIMD/instructions/special case fast paths and
only slow reference conversions are available, applications might still
run but software relying on babl for conversions will be slow

Gtk-Message: 16:10:51.081: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: 16:10:51.081: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: 16:10:51.082: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: 16:10:51.084: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
../babl/babl-internal.h:222 babl_fatal()
	babl_format("CIE Lab double"): not found
sh: 1: gdb: not found

Edge is broken currently. I’m working on getting it operational but it is being uncooperative…

@lucyllewy Thanks so much for the update, I’ll follow and give it a try when ready.