Call for testing: GIMP

is there a roadmap to getting the build.snapcraft.io up-to-parity with the launchpad builder in this respect?

@evan would know I guess…

I might also mention that even compat architectures are supported in snaps, assuming the snap ships everything it needs for them. Eg i386 binaries in amd64 snap and armhf binaries in arm64 snap.

1 Like

I stand well and truly egg-on-faced :wink: thanks for correcting my very wrong belief guys :smiley:

is there a roadmap to getting the build.snapcraft.io up-to-parity with the launchpad builder in this respect?

Yup, we’re waiting for the build on hint work to land, then we’ll enable builds for the other architectures on https://build.snapcraft.io.

The current snap from the store looks correctly themed for me on artful.
What desktop/ubuntu serie/theme do you use? Could you show a screenshot
of the issue?

1 Like

Hi all,

The current Gimp version crashes when trying to use the ‘cage transformation’ functionality. Just like the regular version available on repositories.

Detail about the bug here:

Main issue on comment #9:

Discovering that Debian and/or Ubuntu decided to make their GIMP 2.8 packages depend
on gegl-0.3 instead of gegl-0.2 came as a surprise to some of the GIMP developers.

I wonder if this could be fix on the snap version, so that it adds value over the repo package.

Regards.

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release:	16.04
Codename:	xenial

$ uname -a
Linux vanhalen 4.4.0-92-generic #115-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 10 09:04:33 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ snap info gimp
name:      gimp
summary:   "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
publisher: snapcrafters
description: |
  Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist,
  GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can
  further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization
  options and 3rd party plugins.
commands:
  - gimp
tracking:    stable
installed:   2.8.22 (20) 144MB -
refreshed:   2017-07-26 17:35:46 -0500 CDT
channels:                
  stable:    2.8.22 (20) 144MB -
  candidate: 2.8.22 (20) 144MB -
  beta:      2.8.22 (20) 144MB -
  edge:      2.8.22 (20) 144MB -

$ apt policy gimp
gimp:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.8.16-1ubuntu1.1
  Version table:
     2.8.16-1ubuntu1.1 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe amd64 Packages
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe amd64 Packages
     2.8.16-1ubuntu1 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages

Preface: The GIMP issue I describe here I have already posted on the Ubuntu G+ forum and one of the responders there suggested that I post my problem with GIMP, and in particular withe add-on BIMP.

I have installed the snap version of GIMP and have been playing around with it. I have noticed that in BIMP, a GIMP plug-in, which I find very useful, the fonts available for a text watermark are restricted to the “native” Ubuntu group of fonts. So I can’t by default use, for example, the Courier New font. I have downloaded from the web Courier New font: I put the downloaded file into the named font folder for BIMP (stated in the GIMP preferences) and then hit an “Install” button in the opened font file. But BIMP does not show Courier New in the list of watermark fonts, even though GIMP does list it. I also copied another font from the /usr/share/fonts folder to the named font folder for BIMP but, again, it is not made available to me when creating a watermark.

How can I populate the list of selectable fonts?

Ohhhhh yes it could, you’re right, this is the perfect time for snappy to shine because snaps bundle their own dependencies so GIMP wouldn’t be forced to use gegl-0.3 (which it is forced to use on Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.04 and trying to use 0.2 could break your system)! Unfortunately build.snapcraft.io, which I’m guessing is what Daniel is using to build the app, uses Ubuntu 16.04 dependencies so we couldn’t get libgegl-0.2 by just changing it from 0.3 in the stage-packages… we could bundle it as a part though, do you think you could give that a go @lucyllewy? Hopefully it’s no more complex than pulling the package from 14.04 in a separate part… (or maybe somehow you could build 0.2 from source)

@lucyllewy Would the config you currently have work for the new 2.9.6 release of gimp? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is there another way to reach @lucyllewy or another way to provide feedback to fix this issue?

@papibe to which issue do you refer?

With regards to packaging the 2.9.6 beta of Gimp from upstream, I’ve got a build which compiles, but there are many many many fine bugs.

1 Like

See here for Daniel’s work on snapping 2.9.6 (if you have suggestions you may want to file PRs against that or comment here).

1 Like

Thanks for replying.

Snap Gimp crashes when you use the ‘cage transformation’. My assessment is because the same reason the current repo version crashes (see my previous comment for details)

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Well, if you snap an app with a bug (2.8) the bug will not magically go away, after all snap is just another packaging/delivery format…

You can easily build the snap from @lucyllewy’s 2.9 branch yourself if you want to test it though:

sudo apt install git snapcraft
git clone https://github.com/diddledan/gimp-snap.git
cd gimp-snap
snapcraft
...  (it might ask fo your sudo password to install build dependencies here...)
.... (go and take a coffee break)
sudo snap install --dangerous gimp*.snap
2 Likes

Yes but as pointed out by @papibe earlier we can fix this bug in the snap by depending on gegl-0.2 rather than gegl-0.3 (would be nice if we could apply this fix for stable as well as the beta)

1 Like

@papibe please can you help fix this by cloning (or forking then cloning) this repo, then removing the libgegl-0.3.0 stage-package and adding a part which uses gegl 0.2? Maybe you could use the gegl-0-2 branch found here. This could be a nightmare because you may have to remove more stage-packages and replace them with parts but can you give this a go? Build your modified snapcraft.yaml with SNAPCRAFT_CONTAINER_BUILDS=1 snapcraft and see if it works. If it works then submit a PR for the snapcrafters GIMP repo :slight_smile:

1 Like

The new version of GIMP in the store (and I only needed to download 11.8 MB to get that thanks to the update deltas feature!) - 2.8.22 (25) - has the correct gegl version (thanks @lucyllewy!), does it fix the cage transformation issue for you? :slight_smile:

Use sudo snap refresh gimp to get the update if you don’t have it (use snap info gimp to check), though you should have got it automatically.

1 Like

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

However, it looks it not available on my end:

$ sudo snap refresh
All snaps up to date.

$ sudo snap refresh gimp
snap "gimp" has no updates available

$ snap info gimp
name:      gimp
summary:   "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
publisher: snapcrafters
description: |
  Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist,
  GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can
  further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization
  options and 3rd party plugins.
snap-id: KDHYbyuzZukmLhiogKiUksByRhXD2gYV
commands:
  - gimp
tracking:    stable
installed:   2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
refreshed:   2017-09-12 15:41:22 -0500 CDT
channels:                
  stable:    2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  candidate: 2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  beta:      2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  edge:      2.8.22 (25) 141MB -

$ snap find gimp
Name  Version  Developer     Notes  Summary
gimp  2.8.22   snapcrafters  -      GNU Image Manipulation Program

Apologies, I had the wrong version number, you have the update, I think. Could you see if the bug is fixed on that version you have? :slight_smile: