Call for testing: GIMP

Yes but as pointed out by @papibe earlier we can fix this bug in the snap by depending on gegl-0.2 rather than gegl-0.3 (would be nice if we could apply this fix for stable as well as the beta)

1 Like

@papibe please can you help fix this by cloning (or forking then cloning) this repo, then removing the libgegl-0.3.0 stage-package and adding a part which uses gegl 0.2? Maybe you could use the gegl-0-2 branch found here. This could be a nightmare because you may have to remove more stage-packages and replace them with parts but can you give this a go? Build your modified snapcraft.yaml with SNAPCRAFT_CONTAINER_BUILDS=1 snapcraft and see if it works. If it works then submit a PR for the snapcrafters GIMP repo :slight_smile:

1 Like

The new version of GIMP in the store (and I only needed to download 11.8 MB to get that thanks to the update deltas feature!) - 2.8.22 (25) - has the correct gegl version (thanks @lucyllewy!), does it fix the cage transformation issue for you? :slight_smile:

Use sudo snap refresh gimp to get the update if you don’t have it (use snap info gimp to check), though you should have got it automatically.

1 Like

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

However, it looks it not available on my end:

$ sudo snap refresh
All snaps up to date.

$ sudo snap refresh gimp
snap "gimp" has no updates available

$ snap info gimp
name:      gimp
summary:   "GNU Image Manipulation Program"
publisher: snapcrafters
description: |
  Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist,
  GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can
  further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization
  options and 3rd party plugins.
snap-id: KDHYbyuzZukmLhiogKiUksByRhXD2gYV
commands:
  - gimp
tracking:    stable
installed:   2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
refreshed:   2017-09-12 15:41:22 -0500 CDT
channels:                
  stable:    2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  candidate: 2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  beta:      2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  edge:      2.8.22 (25) 141MB -

$ snap find gimp
Name  Version  Developer     Notes  Summary
gimp  2.8.22   snapcrafters  -      GNU Image Manipulation Program

Apologies, I had the wrong version number, you have the update, I think. Could you see if the bug is fixed on that version you have? :slight_smile:

Yay! Cage transformation is working! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Score 1 for snappy! Will point people in this direction from Launchpad, thanks for testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cage transform has never worked for me, and I am soooo amazed. Really looking forward to this working in 2.9/2.10 one day!

Still no support for 32bit…

I assume you mean i386 binaries support.

This won’t happen until the build service includes i386 building capability, which it currently does not.

But why did you need it? I seen several snaps that I can install right now, e.g. Peek.

I need support in the build service for i386 binaries to build i386 binaries because without it I cannot build i386 binaries.

2 Likes

@dies anyone can manually build an x86 snap locally, or use launchpad to build an x86 (and numerous other architectures)…

Screenshot from 2017-09-18 22-43-03

By default build.snapcraft.io builds x86_64 (ok @ikey ? :wink: ) and armhf binaries, but not x86 binaries/packages. As an easy to use tool to get started building snaps, this is appropriate. More advanced users, who require more diverse architectures can use launchpad directly, or build on their own hardware.

Within the team we have discussed this on numerous occasions. It was a conscious decision to omit x86 due to perceived lack of demand and limited available resources (a builder doing an x86 install is taking resources from a package needing an x86_64 build). I think it’s valuable for us to have the discussion regularly to consider whether build.snapcraft.io should revise the default architectures.

@evan ^

1 Like

We do plan on supporting i386 on https://build.snapcraft.io (#819) once developers can specify the set of architectures their software can build on.

1 Like

EDIT: system info shorten as Ads20000 requested, thanks.

Gimp stop working:

$ gimp
udev_enumerate_scan failed

Versions:
$ snap --version
snap 2.28.1
snapd 2.28.1
series 16
ubuntu 16.04
kernel 4.4.0-97-generic

$ snap info gimp
name:      gimp
summary:   GNU Image Manipulation Program
publisher: snapcrafters
description: |
  Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist,
  GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can
  further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization
  options and 3rd party plugins.
snap-id: KDHYbyuzZukmLhiogKiUksByRhXD2gYV
commands:
  - gimp
tracking:    stable
installed:   2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
refreshed:   2017-09-12 15:41:22 -0500 CDT
channels:                
  stable:    2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  candidate: 2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  beta:      2.8.22 (25) 141MB -
  edge:      2.8.22 (25) 141MB -

You’d just want snap version and snap info gimp.

I tried several times with the same version of gimp from the stable channel(2.8.22 (25)) on my laptop.
It works fine even though some warnings and error messages popup at startup.

$ snap version
snap 2.28.1
snapd 2.28.1
series 16
ubuntu 16.04
kernel 4.4.0-96-generic
$ /snap/bin/gimp
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “overlay-scrollbar”
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “gail”
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “atk-bridge”
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”

But looks like you’re not the first person to hit this problem. It’s bit weird.

The udev_enumerate_scan issue should be fixed in the 2.28.4 upload to beta yesterday. (ie, sudo snap refresh core --beta).

1 Like

The udev_enumerate_scan failed error should be fixed in the beta channel. A snap refresh --beta core should make things work again.

Gimp.snap does not recognize system language, it is only for english, not spanish or others.
Linuxmint 18.2 Cinnamon 3.4
64 bits