Call for testing: chromium based on core18

Description

Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.

Version 70.0.3538.77 is the latest stable release from Google.

This is a new build based on core18. It has been thoroughly tested internally on all supported Ubuntu releases (from trusty to cosmic), debian testing and fedora 28, and is now open for wider testing.

How to install

snap install chromium --candidate

or, if you’re already using the chromium snap from the stable channel:

snap refresh chromium --candidate

Note that this is an amd64-only build for now, until I figure out and fix build failures on other architectures.

Also note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove “chromium-*”

Specific Tests

I’m interested in your feedback using the snap for your normal browsing activities and workflows, including web development.

Please report any issues you encounter in this thread, especially those that appear to be regressions from the version in the stable channel (which is based on core16). Thanks!

One question, is the candidate/from-source also using core18?

Thanks for this!

candidate/from-source was closed a while ago, all chromium snaps are now built from source.

Ops, didn’t know that! Thanks!

By the way, nothing important, but on Ubuntu 18.04 I’m still seeing different decoration for Chromium windows of different profiles:

Both profiles are using the Classic theme.

Adding to @pachulo comment, using the GTK+ theme is broken in Ubuntu 18.10 with the default Yaru theme… Is this another case of snaps having wrong theming or is it specific to Chromium?

It appears that one profile is configured to use the system title bar and window borders, whereas the other one uses a custom frame. You can change that by browsing to chrome://settings/appearance

This is chromium-specific, when using a custom frame. See bug #1800260.

That was it! Thanks a lot!