Call for testing: chromium 64.0.3282.119

Call for testing: chromium 64.0.3282.119

Description

Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.

Version 64.0.3282.119 is the latest stable release from Google.

How to install

snap install chromium --candidate

Note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove “chromium-*”

Requested Setups

That version of the snap is expected to work on Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04, 17.10 and 18.04, and more generally on any linux distribution that supports snaps.

Specific Tests

I’m interested in your feedback using the snap for your normal browsing activities and workflows.

Note that with recent changes in snapd, the snap should work with NVIDIA proprietary drivers. I’m especially interested in your feedback if you’re testing on an NVIDIA GPU.

Please report any issues you encounter in this thread. Thanks!

chromium 64.0.3282.119 has now been promoted to the stable channel.

1 Like

is chromium supposed to be able to play DRM movies (e.g. from googley play)? I can’t find any mention of widevine in my config so I’m guessing it either isn’t included or can’t be included, whether that’s in the snap or as a download after first launch.

It won’t do out of the box, and chromium doesn’t have a built-in mechanism to download and install the required CDM in-app like firefox does.
But if you manage to grab the widevine blobs and copy them to the right place, that might work.

This will do it if it is added as a (part of a) configure hook which listens for a widevine=enabled option, and chromium has had it’s build augmented to include dpkg:

#!/bin/bash

if [ "$(snapctl get widevine)" = "enabled" ]; then

# Make a temp folder to unpack Google Chrome
    TMP=$(mktemp -d)

# Get the Google Chrome deb
    wget -O $TMP/chrome.deb https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb

# Unpack the Google Chrome deb
    dpkg-deb -x $TMP/chrome.deb $TMP/unpacked

# Copy the libs to the chrome
    mkdir -p $SNAP_USER_DATA/.local/lib/
    cp -v $TMP/unpacked/opt/google/chrome/libwidevine* $SNAP_USER_DATA/.local/lib/

# Delete the temp folder
    rm -rf $TMP/

else

rm -rf $SNAP_USER_DATA/.local/lib/libwidevine*

fi

The command: also needs slight modification to ensure the user-agent is appropriate, too, so as a launcher script we can add:

#!/bin/bash

if [ "$(snapctl get widevine)" = "enabled" ]; then
    exec "$@" --user-agent='Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.79 Safari/537.36'
else
    exec "$@"
fi
1 Like

Note that this is amd64-specific, it won’t work for other architectures.

Also, the user-agent override, if I understand your intent correctly, is for Netflix, right? In principle it’s not needed for widevine to work on generic DRM content.

Sorry I tried. I’ll make sure I get everything perfect before suggesting an improvement next time. Yeesh.

I didn’t mean to criticize your contribution, it is interesting indeed. I was (hopefully) providing some relevant feedback on a few details. I should have said thank you first. Thank you.

While I expect a vast majority of the chromium snap users are on amd64 (unfortunately I don’t have numbers), the snap is available for other architectures, so this is something to account for.

I am concerned this cannot go into the snap, for legal reasons.