Call for testing: chromium 63.0.3239.132

Call for testing: chromium 63.0.3239.132

Description

Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.

Version 63.0.3239.132 is the latest stable release from Google.

How to install

snap install chromium --candidate

Note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove “chromium-*”

Requested Setups

That version of the snap is expected to work on Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04, 17.10 and 18.04, and more generally on any linux distribution that supports snaps.

Specific Tests

I’m interested in your feedback using the snap for your normal browsing activities and workflows.

Note that with recent changes in snapd, the snap should work with NVIDIA proprietary drivers. I’m especially interested in your feedback if you’re testing on an NVIDIA GPU.

Please report any issues you encounter in this thread. Thanks!

There is a small problem for me with my web developer hat on. The “audits” feature of the DevTools panel refuses to work. The console reports, when you try to start a new audit:

[27173:27173:0122/143530.405210:ERROR:CONSOLE(1)] "Uncaught (in promise) SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier", source: chrome-devtools://devtools/bundled/audits2_worker.js?remoteBase=https://chrome-devtools-frontend.appspot.com/serve_file/@76cbfebbcc5236da3346c8389b94b648d36f8be6/ (1)

To find the Audit feature:

1. Load a random website, or one of your own
    • Right-click anywhere on the page and select “inspect element”; OR,
    • Click the chromium “three-vertical-dots” menu button, select “more tools” and then “developer tools”; OR,
    • press ctrl+shift+I (that’s an i, not an L)
  2. if “audits” is not currently visible on the newly-opened panel’s top horizontal tab bar click the » button on the end of the visible items and select “audits” from the drop-down
  3. click the “perform an audit” on the “lighthouse” screen below the tab bar
  4. leave the default selections and click “run audit”
  5. the audit will never finish, and the above error will be reported to the terminal if chromium was launched from one

Does the audit feature work with the deb package? I just tried and am getting the same error, so it looks like it’s not snap-specific, can you confirm?

chromium 63.0.3239.132 is now available in the stable channel