Call for testing: chromium 62.0.3202.62

Call for testing: chromium 62.0.3202.62

Description

Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.

Version 62.0.3202.62 is the latest stable release from Google.

How to install

snap install chromium --candidate

Note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove “chromium-*”

Requested Setups

That version of the snap is expected to work on Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04 and 17.10, and more generally on any linux distribution that supports snaps.

Specific Tests

I’m interested in your feedback using the snap for your normal browsing activities and workflows.
Please report any issues you encounter in this thread. Thanks!

Is this expected?

alan@hal:~$ snap refresh chromium --candidate
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Make current revision for snap "chromium" unavailable (cannot write "/snap/chromium/49/meta/gui/chromium.desktop": invalid exec command: "chromium-browser")
- Make snap "chromium" (64) available to the system (cannot write "/snap/chromium/64/meta/gui/chromium.desktop": invalid exec command: "chromium-browser")

I’m tracking snapd from core in beta channel

$ snap version
snap    2.29~rc1
snapd   2.29~rc1
series  16
ubuntu  16.04
kernel  4.10.0-37-generic

No this isn’t expected.
Looking into it, the Exec command for the main desktop entry is correct (“chromium”), but the Exec commands for desktop actions (the contextual actions that appear when right-clicking on the chromium icon in the dock) point to “chromium-browser”, which doesn’t exist in the snap. But this has always been the case. This appears to be a change in snapd which has become stricter.
@mvo can you comment on that change? I guess failing to upgrade a snap that was previously successfully installed is not expected?

1 Like

Bug for desktop action Exec commands tracked here and hopefully fixed here.

Now fixed in the candidate channel. @popey can you try again the upgrade and let me know if it works?

1 Like

Actually I can’t even install it now.

alan@hal:~$ snap remove chromium
chromium removed
alan@hal:~$ snap info chromium
name:      chromium
summary:   Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome
publisher: canonical
description: |
  An open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more
  stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.
snap-id:     XKEcBqPM06H1Z7zGOdG5fbICuf8NWK5R
channels:                       
  stable:    61.0.3163.100 (49) 242MB -
  candidate: 62.0.3202.62  (71) 246MB -
  beta:      62.0.3202.29  (46) 241MB -
  edge:      ↑                        
alan@hal:~$ snap install chromium
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Make snap "chromium" (49) available to the system (cannot write "/snap/chromium/49/meta/gui/chromium.desktop": invalid exec command: "chromium-browser")

That looks wrong, snapd shouldn’t prevent uninstalling (or upgrading from) a version that has an ill-formed desktop file if it didn’t complain when it was originally installed (revision 49 is the current stable).

With revision 71 from the candidate channel, it appears to be working fine but I’m seeing lots of these messages in the console:

LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
xdg-desktop-menu

I just checked, with snapd from stable chromium installs fine. Only with the snapd from beta the - Make snap "chromium" (49) available to the system (cannot write "/snap/chromium/49/meta/gui/chromium.desktop": invalid exec command: "chromium-browser") error is returned.

Thanks @mvo. So users of snapd from the stable channel are good, but this needs to be addressed in the beta version before it hits stable, right?

Those should be harmless, it’s chromium trying to create a shortcut (presumably to itself) in the applications menu (see https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/chrome/browser/shell_integration_linux.cc).

Still it would be good to understand why you get lots of them. Are there corresponding apparmor denials with more info?

@popey helped me test that snap on nvidia hardware, and with the proprietary driver rendering now works, albeit not hardware-accelerated. That’s an improvement over previous versions of the snap where rendering didn’t even work.

As I don’t have access to nvidia hardware myself, I’d be interested in hearing from people who can test the snap on nvidia configurations (both proprietary driver and nouveau). Feedback highly appreciated!

Not Working for me,
I am on ubuntu 17.10 with nvidia proprietary driver.

syntist@Syntist-PC:~$ snap version
snap    2.28.5+17.10
snapd   2.28.5+17.10
series  16
ubuntu  17.10
kernel  4.13.0-16-generic

syntist@Syntist-PC:~$ snap info chromium
name:      chromium
summary:   Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome
publisher: canonical
description: |
  An open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more
  stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.
snap-id: XKEcBqPM06H1Z7zGOdG5fbICuf8NWK5R
commands:
  - chromium
tracking:    candidate
installed:   62.0.3202.62 (71) 246MB -
refreshed:   2017-10-24 10:59:49 +0500 PKT
channels:                       
  stable:    61.0.3163.100 (49) 242MB -
  candidate: 62.0.3202.62  (71) 246MB -
  beta:      62.0.3202.62  (81) 246MB -
  edge:      63.0.3239.9   (83) 262MB -

Does it work any better if you switch the core snap to the beta channel?

snap refresh core --beta

Nope, Same problem,

Why doesn’t nvidia with proprietary driver doesn’t work out of the box with snapd?

syntist@Syntist-PC:~$ snap version
snap    2.29~rc1
snapd   2.29~rc1
series  16
ubuntu  17.10
kernel  4.13.0-16-generic

Edited: Flatpak install nvidia driver flatpak, so it work out of the box, why doesn’t snap do that?

Well it seems to work for some (@popey had some success with the chromium snap and nvidia proprietary drivers), so more investigation is needed to understand why it’s not working for you (thanks for your feedback so far by the way, it is much appreciated!).

Can you detail which graphics card you have, which version of the proprietary driver is installed, and do other snaps that make use of the GPU work (e.g. the 0AD snap (shameless plug))?

Card Detail

syntist@Syntist-PC:~$ lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 640 Rev. 2] [10de:1282] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd GK208 [GeForce GT 640 Rev. 2] [1458:3608]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 29
	Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
	Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
	I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
	[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_387_drm, nvidia_387

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller [10de:0e0f] (rev a1)

can you tell me other snap to try? cause i got slow net, and don’t know i ain’t getting full speed on that snap.

Try oh my giraffe.

Sorry for late reply, Its working without any issue, and fun game though :stuck_out_tongue:

Good. Can you run chromium with logging enabled and share the output?

/snap/bin/chromium --enable-logging=stderr

Are there apparmor denials in syslog?