Call for testing: chromium 61.0.3163.100

Call for testing: chromium 61.0.3163.100

Description

Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web.

Version 61.0.3163.100 is the latest stable release from Google.

How to install

snap install chromium --candidate

Note that the snap can coexist with the ubuntu packages. If you wish to remove the ubuntu packages to use solely the snap, you can do:

sudo apt remove “chromium-*”

Requested Setups

At the moment that version of the snap is available for amd64 and i386 processors only. It is expected to work on Ubuntu 16.04, 17.04 and 17.10, and more generally on any linux distribution that supports snaps.

Specific Tests

I’m interested in your feedback using the snap for your normal browsing activities and workflows.
Please report any issues you encounter in this thread. Thanks!

3 Likes

Woohoo! Thanks for this. I just tested on my 17.10 Intel GPU laptop. Working well so far!

Solus 3 - installation went fine.

Took a good minute to load the first time, couldn’t find via the menu under Budgie so ran /snap/bin/chromium

Font’s look incorrect, not sure how to get any more detail for you, from running on the CLI I get these messages, not sure if helpful at all

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
[8951:9034:0928/153218.652016:ERROR:udev_watcher.cc(60)] Failed to begin udev enumeration.

Not sure how well this screenshot will come out.

Hope this helps

What is the default font family for your user interface? i.e. the output of:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface font-name

Hey @oSoMoN

andy@asuras ~/Projects $ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface font-name
‘Clear Sans 10’

Let me know if you need anything else.

Just to add that this is a vanilla install of Solus 3, not changed any settings apart from installing a few applications.

The “Clear Sans” font doesn’t appear to be packaged in Ubuntu, so it can’t easily be added to the snap’s stage packages. This problem will go away once snapd allows access to the host’s fonts, see the work James has done here.

If you can point me to the solus package for that fonts, I might be able to add it to the snap manually.

Found the font package from solus, and added to the snap here.
A build will kick off automatically shortly, and I will update the candidate channel once built.

And done. Can you refresh your snap from the candidate channel and let me know if the font issue is still there?

snap refresh chromium --candidate

Just a quick polish note here, the icon shown in GNOME Shell on Ubuntu 17.10 is generic, not the Chromium icon. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t work on 17.10, Wayland session.

Thanks for the work! Apologies for the delay, this is my work machine

andy@asuras ~/Projects $ sudo snap refresh chromium --candidate
snap “chromium” has no updates available

Icon in the dock, or in the activities view (or both)? Can you share a screenshot?

Can you share details about your hardware (graphics card) and software:

snap info core chromium

The snap was probably refreshed automatically. Can you share the output of:

snap info chromium

And is the problem with the font fixed?

It was updated, sorry busy at work and didn’t even try checking loading the app, my apologies.

The title fonts look fine, but rendering on the page is still off

None of this is a road stopper for me, just thought it’s things you may want to address. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks for the feedback. The font rendering problem on web content is most likely another missing font package, I’ll see if I can figure out which.

@diplo can you please share the output of:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface document-font-name

I like the alerts on Discourse :slightly_smiling_face:

andy@asuras ~ $ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface document-font-name ‘Sans 11’

I was googling to try and work that out myself

What is the output of:

fc-match Sans