Call for testing: cheat-snap

Hey,

I’ve made a snap of a small command line tool called cheat as part of the Google Code In. In a nutshell it allows you to quickly view a cheatsheet for a specified command. For example:

$ cheat tar
# To extract an uncompressed archive: 
tar -xvf '/path/to/foo.tar'

# To extract a .gz archive:
tar -xzvf '/path/to/foo.tgz'

# To create a .gz archive:
tar -czvf '/path/to/foo.tgz' '/path/to/foo/'

# To extract a .bz2 archive:
tar -xjvf '/path/to/foo.tgz'

# To create a .bz2 archive:
tar -cjvf '/path/to/foo.tgz' '/path/to/foo/'

Installation

sudo snap install --edge cheat-snap

If you have any problems or if you got it to work reply to this thread. Thanks :smile:

How is this different from the cheat-bernermic snap?

And, because you called the snap cheat-snap, the command is cheat-snap.cheat, not cheat.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn’t aware of the second point so thanks for bringing that to my attention, however, when I was testing it the cheat command seemed to work fine.

then you weren’t testing the snap :slight_smile:

@jakewalker are you interested in following with this now that google code-in has finished? I would be happy to help you with the few steps that are missing. And we can see if @bernermic is interseted in joining forces with the snapcrafters to maintain cheat as a team until it’s adopted by upstream.

chipacaDec '17
And, because you called the snap cheat-snap, the command is cheat-snap.cheat, not cheat.

Is hte plan toe leave the command this way, or update it to run as just cheat?

@bashfulrobot I don’t think I said this but there’s actually another snap called ‘cheat’ which I realised about after I’d created it.

Probably not right at the moment because I have a lot of stuff to do at school.

Alright, thanks for your work @jakewalker, and let us konw if you have more time in the future and want to contribute with some more tasks :slight_smile:

Hi @elopio, @chipaca & @jakewalker,

sorry for the (really) late answer :sweat_smile:. I would appreciate it to join forces in maintaining the cheat snap.

I moved the snap version of cheat in agreement with the Maintainer of cheat into the cheat repo (https://github.com/cheat/snap).

Cheat has been re-written totally as a go version just recently. As of now I try to got a first draft to run, but it would be great to have further support there or I am open for discussion for choosing @jakewalker’s version.

Current version is available (right now basically just for amd64 systems in the edge channel. snap install --edge cheat or snap refresh --edge cheat

May I suggest you set cheat-snap as unlisted, then?

That task is up to @jakewalker (https://snapcraft.io/cheat-snap) …
I registered cheat (https://snapcraft.io/cheat).

Ok, looking at the cheat-snap I would prefer to go with the version I build.

This are the reasons why:

• cheat-snap is in channel edge and seems pretty outdated to the upstream project
  • the editor functionality doesn’t work (Could not launch vim)
  • upstream project moved away from the python version to go implementation
  • upstream split out cheat binary and cheatsheets into sepparate repositories (which are consumed by the version I try to build up now)

Is this ok to you @jakewalker (and the others)?