Build VM status summary

I wrote up a quick summary/walkthrough with some short videos on http://blog.sergiusens.org/posts/snapcraft-build-environments/ for those wanting a quick summary of the status of Status Tracking for Build VM

have you thought about documenting which snapcraft version/channel we need? The statement that “you just need to run snapcraft to get a resulting snap. Given that we set the base to core18 a virtual machine will be setup” is wrong:

$ snapcraft
Installing build dependencies: bzip2-doc cmake cmake-data docbook-xml docbook-xsl fonts-font-awesome gir1.2-gexiv2-0.10 gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-osmgpsmap-1.0 gir1.2-poppler-0.18 gir1.2-rsvg-2.0 gobject-introspection libaa1-dev libamd2 libart-2.0-dev libblas-dev libbtf1 libbz2-dev libcamd2 libccolamd2 libcdt5 libcgraph6 libcholmod3 libcups2-dev libcupsfilters-dev libcupsimage2-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libcxsparse3 libdbus-glib-1-dev libexif-dev libexif-doc libexiv2-dev libflickcurl-dev libflickcurl0 libgexiv2-dev libgirepository1.0-dev libglade2-0 libgpm-dev libgraphblas1 libgraphicsmagick-q16-3 libgraphicsmagick1-dev libgraphviz-dev libgs-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgts-0.7-5 libgts-bin libgudev-1.0-dev libgvc6 libgvc6-plugins-gtk libgvpr2 libheif-dev libheif1 libidn11-dev libijs-dev libijs-doc libilmbase-dev libjbig-dev libjbig2dec0-dev libjpeg-dev libjpeg-turbo8-dev libjpeg8-dev libjs-modernizr libjson-glib-dev libjsoncpp1 libklu1 liblab-gamut1 liblapack-dev liblcms2-dev libldl2 liblensfun-data-v1 liblensfun-dev liblensfun1 liblzma-dev libmetis5 libmng-dev libncurses5-dev libopenexr-dev libopenjp2-7-dev libosmgpsmap-1.0-1 libosmgpsmap-1.0-dev libpaper-dev libpathplan4 libpoppler-dev libpoppler-glib-dev libpugixml-dev libpugixml1v5 libraptor2-dev libraw-dev librbio2 librhash0 librsvg2-dev libslang2-dev libsoup2.4-dev libspiro-dev libspiro0 libspqr2 libsqlite3-dev libsuitesparse-dev libtiff-dev libtiff5-dev libtiffxx5 libtinfo-dev libumfpack5 libuv1 libwebp-dev libwmf-dev libxdot4 libxml2-dev libxml2-utils libxmu-dev libxmu-headers libxpm-dev libxslt1-dev libxt-dev libyajl-dev python-cairo-dev python-glade2 python-gobject-2-dev python-gtk2-dev python-gtk2-doc raptor2-utils sgml-data sphinx-rtd-theme-common xml-core xsltproc
[sudo] password for dllewellyn:

Aborted!

I do have base: core18 in my snapcraft.yaml.

$ snapcraft version
snapcraft, version 2.42.1

I am showing rather unreleased code :slight_smile: Maybe I should have written, all you _will_need to do.

You need to be on edge/bases, set SNAPCRAFT_BUILD_ENVIRONMENT=qemu and install (for now) qemu-system-x86 and cloud-utils.

excellent, thanks, I’ll give it a gander :slight_smile:

Feel free to reach out on irc or telegram for an expedited getting started, I do acknowledge that it might be to early if you want click and run :slight_smile: