Broken GLFW Snaps for Five Months? Due to build system? User commenting system suggested for reviews and issue reporting

libGL error: DRI driver not from this Mesa build ('23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1' vs '23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1~22.04.2')
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: DRI driver not from this Mesa build ('23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1' vs '23.2.1-1ubuntu3.1~22.04.2')
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
glfwCreateWindow() failed.

Snap affected:

Rebuilding it seems to have fixed it, a little annoying, I guess the last time I built it was when the snapcraft build system was breaking builds.

I’m always scared of updating snaps that I know work, because it just seems like there’s a high risk they could break, if it’s working on core20 and has been for a long time I just think… Is it worth messing with that snap?

Turns out four other snaps I released back in early to late December 2023 (one a week) also had this problem, and I released the update to PoryDrive last month (which was broken in the same manner) which would indicate the Snapcraft build system was spitting out broken builds for GLFW for 5 months?! :frowning: (unless a recent update to snapcraft broke them all at a later date, I can’t confirm if they worked when I first built them because I never tested them, because I had removed snapd from my system entirely, but now I will be testing them after every Snapcraft build…)

Other effected snaps where the last release versions of:

Disgruntling to say the least.

If users could leave comments on the snap app pages maybe I would have been informed of this sooner, you could hide comments behind a drop down so they are not publicly visible unless the user wants to see them, that prevents negative comments affecting the professional appearance of the product page. (like a html details tag)

Comments Ben: Great app thanks!
Tom: Seems to be a bug with Wayland!

Allowing the publisher to moderate and delete comments also would help.

Without a commenting system most average users probably won’t report issues, so this commenting system would also need to be integrated into the gnome-software front end and not just the snapcraft website.

I think @zyga has shown me a similar issue with his the-force-engine snap. We looked a little and there was a version string embedded in mesa libraries and dri modules which is causing this. Perhaps @alan_g or @kenvandine have more ideas how this could be addressed.

For context: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/blob/main/src/loader/loader.c#L785

The error looks like you’re loading Mesa userspace drivers that don’t match the Mesa you are linking to.

You don’t share your snapcraft.yaml, but you could try using the graphics-core22 content interface which deals with this.

There are worked examples for various toolkits (but not GLFW) under “Packaging IoT GUI”:

https://mir-server.io/docs/how-to-guides