Automatic Connection Request for BTOP

Currently, the snap requires the following connections to work:

btop:system-observe
btop:physical-memory-observe
btop:mount-observe
btop:hardware-observe
btop:network-observe
btop:process-control

Is it possible to get most/all of these automatically connected at install? These connections tend to be a hurdle for many newer users, or users unfamiliar with snaps.

Snap link. Developer’s GitHub repo.

Hey @alexmurray, sorry to ping you. I’m just checking to see if this has been viewed/reviewed yet. Thanks in advance.

Apologies for the delay in getting to this request @kz6fittycent - can you please explain a bit more about btop and why these are required? In particular,physical-memory-observe and process-control are quite privileged - are these strictly necessary? If so, can you please detail why and what for? Thanks.

Thanks @alexmurray.

btop is capable of killing processes via it’s TUI. Without those plugins, we were not able to kill any processes and that particular function is definitely a feature of the app.

Hey @kz6fittycent,

What specific information do you need to monitor memory that you are requesting physical-memory-observe?. /proc/meminfo is available without connecting any interfaces so you could use that if it fits your needs and thus avoid plugging a very privileged interface without a real need.

I am +1 for auto-connect system-observe, mount-observe, hardware-observe, network-observe and process-control since all are required for btop to properly operate as explained. Can other @reviewers please vote?

1 Like

+1 from me for the specified connections.

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting auto-connect of system-observe, mount-observe, hardware-observe, network-observe and process-control to btop. This is now live.

@kz6fittycent whenever you can, please let us know the reasons of still requesting physical-memory-observe and we can keep discussing about it.

Thanks!

@kz6fittycent - ping, can you please provide the requested information?

Sorry for the long wait. It appears that the ability to kill processes is now working, even without the plug. Thanks all for the assist here and I apologize again for the long wait.