Auto-connection requests for tcpdump

Hi, I’d like to request autoconnections for the tcpdump snap. The project is in github.

These are required for the snap to run at all:

• network-control - for NETLINK_ROUTE, promiscuous mode, etc
  • bluetooth-control - for AF_BLUETOOTH
  • firewall-control - for NETLINK_NETFILTER

This is needed to operate correctly:

• hardware-observe - for /sys/devices/virtual/net/*, etc

The snap uses the snap_daemon user by default and I’ve setup a captures directory in SNAP_COMMON for pcap files to be written to (ie, with -w) that works with this user or when running with -Z root. Writing pcap files in $HOME requires additional steps (see the above github page) due to snap_daemon and DAC_OVERRIDE, so I’d prefer if the home interface not be auto-connected. Ie, please issue this snap declaration:

{
  "home": {
    "allow-auto-connection": "false"
  }
}

Finally, for future reference, I don’t want removable-media auto-connected in the future for the same reasons as home (unless I change my mind ;)). I also setup a writable content interface for the captures directory in SNAP_COMMON so other snaps can integrate with this snap, but I’m not seeking a global auto-connect or the tcpdump snap declaration to be updated to allow other snaps to auto-connect on principle since sharing pcap files should be a deliberate administrative action IMO (of course, a brand store, gadgets, etc can do what they want).

Thanks!

2 Likes

+1 from me for auto-connect of network-control, bluetooth-control, firewall-control and hardware-observe for tcpdump. The need for such interfaces is clear for the purposes of a tool such as tcpdump which analyzes network packets. Still the explanation provided by @jdstrand makes the request even clearer.

Thanks also for the clarification on non auto-connecting home and removable-media as well as not requesting a global auto-connect for the content interface. We will take it into consideration once the voting process is finished and the declarations are granted.

Can other @reviewers please vote?

+1 from me too for auto-connect of network-control , bluetooth-control , firewall-control and hardware-observe for tcpdump .

+1 from me, this is necessary functionality for the tcpdump tool.

+3 votes for, 0 votes against, granted auto-connect for network-control , bluetooth-control , firewall-control and hardware-observe for tcpdump and disabled auto-connect for home as well as requested. This is now live.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like