Auto-connection request for `arduino` `raw-usb`

Is it possible to auto-connect raw-usb to the snap arduino ?

The snap uses the raw-usb interface to upload firmware to arduino-compatible devices. The Arduino IDE is more or less useless without the ability to flash devices. The snap communicates with the boards using various /dev/tty* devices such as /dev/ttyUSB0.

1 Like

However people can still manually connect the interface, so it’s not useless without auto-connect, just less straightforward to get working :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m still +1 on this, anyone installing an Arduino IDE is likely to know/accept it needs access to the USB port and want that to work without further intervention.

• Daniel
1 Like

+1 from me. Arduino developers range from expert to complete newbie with a kit as a present for their birthday. We should make it as smooth as possible.

+1 from me too - this seems core to it’s functionality and not unexpected from a users perspective.

Any update here? 20 characters.

@jdstrand, @popey, can I get an update on this request?

Have you tried using the serial-port interface with hotplug? hotplug was implemented specifically for dealing with situations like yours.

For future reference, I answered your question here: Auto-connection request for `arduino-mhall` serial-port

The updated request is for both raw-usb and serial-port based on Auto-connection request for `arduino-mhall` serial-port

+1 for raw-usb

4 votes for, 0 against. Granting raw-usb. This is now live.

1 Like

+1 to auto-connect serial-port (with greedy plugs). @reviewers - can others vote on this?

1 Like

+1 from me as well (echoing what others said above).

1 Like

2 votes for, 0 against for auto-connect of raw-usb. 2 votes for, 0 against for auto-connect with greedy plugs for serial-port. This is now live.

1 Like