Auto-connect request for datashare

Hello,

As suggested here, I would like to request the following auto-connections for datashare:

• home
  • system-observe
  • mount-observe

Latest revision here:

https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/snaps/datashare/revisions/7/

Datashare is a self-hosted search engine for documents. It allows user to index documents (in ElasticSearch) on their own computer, and perform search over the extracted text and metadata.

Since several years we offer this tools through a .deb and Docker image. We would like to use those plugs so users can index documents stored in their homedir (Datashare creates a dedicated directory for that).

Datashare is open source and developed by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists. It’s the same technology our organization used to run famous investigations like the Pandora Papers or the Panama Papers.

Cheers,

Pierre

The home interface is already auto-connected on regular systems (only on Ubuntu Core does this require a specific auto-connection declaration), so unless your snap is also targeting Ubuntu Core devices then this should not be needed.

Can you please explain why the snap requires system-observe and mount-observe? As from the description above I can’t see a good justification for these interfaces, thanks.

Hello @alexmurray, thanks for the review!

I tried first without these interfaces but it looks like ElasticSearch needed them to start correctly:

I reviewed them again:

• system-observe I thought this was needed but after disconnecting it, I can see ElasticSearch starts normally. Sorry, I should have checked earlier!
  • mount-observe is required by ElasticSearch to inspect the quota information. When initializing, ElasticSearch needs to gather information about the system and ensure the cluster is healthy. For instance, it checks the available disk space. Not connecting this interface triggers a java.io.IOException: Mount point not found error.

I corrected the snapcraft.yml following your advice. The latest revision is here:

https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/snaps/datashare/revisions/8/

Thanks again!

Hello,

Would you like me to submit a new auto-connect request only for the mount-observe plug?

Thanks for the review,

Pierre

hey @pirhoo,

Don’t worry. We can keep the discussion in this same topic.

+1 from me for auto-connect mount-observe since it seems required by ElasticSearch during initialization. Can other @reviewers please vote?

1 Like

hello @review-team :v: I wonder if you had the chance to have a look at our request. Thanks!

+1 from me too for auto-connect of mount-observe as this is required by the snap.

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, this is now live.

1 Like

Wonderful news, thanks!