Auto-connect network interfaces in Multipass

Hi all,

We’re adding new bridging capabilities in Multipass that will allow users to bridge VMs with their host’s ethernet devices. We’d like to request that a couple of network-related interfaces be auto-connected:

• network-manager: so that Multipass can talk to NM over DBus, to request new connections and get a bridge in place (added here).
    • This will be exercised when the user does something like multipass launch --network eth0 or multipass launch --bridged, but only if the target device isn’t bridged yet, and only after the user is presented with an interactive question and explicitly authorizes it.
  • network-observe: so that we can read from /sys/devices/**/net/* to distinguish host interfaces (added here). Multipass already has network-control, but it didn’t give us those read permissions.
    • To show in multipass networks.

Implementation is in progress. We have some (internal) docs on how we are approaching this feature, please let us know if you want a link. Note that only sudo/admin/wheel members can connect to the Multipass daemon, so this is also inherently restricted to them.

1 Like

@ricab care to add the lxd interface to this request?

@Saviq, I’m afraid I don’t have an edit button :confused:

ACK, posted separately, then:

1 Like

+1 from me for auto-connect network-manager to multipass since its needed to talk to NM via DBus.

+1 from me for auto-connect network-observe to multipass as access to details in /sys/devices/**/net/* is indeed provided by that interface.

Can other @reviewers please vote?

+1 from me for auto-connect network-observe for multipass, as well.

+1 to auto-connect network-manager and network-observe. It is clear that multipass now needs both of these to function properly.

+3 votes for, 0 votes against, granting auto-connect of network-observe to multipass.

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, granting auto-connect of network-manager to multipass.

This is now live.

1 Like