Auto-Aliasing for slurm user commands and daemons

Hello,

We would like to request auto-aliasing for the daemons and user commands in the slurm snap.

Can I provide a list of the commands and daemons that we are requesting auto-aliasing for, or how does this work?

Thanks!

Yes please - can you provide a list of the aliases names you want and which commands in the snap they correspond / alias to?

Hi Alex. Slurm is quite a beast with lots of user-facing commands. The commands we need aliased are:

• sacct
  • sacctmgr
  • salloc
  • sattach
  • sbatch
  • sbcast
  • scancel
  • scontrol
  • sdiag
  • sinfo
  • sprio
  • squeue
  • sreport
  • srun
  • sshare
  • sstat
  • strigger

We also package Munge as a dependency of Slurm and require the following commands aliased as well:

• munge
  • unmunge
  • remunge
  • mungekey

The reason for the auto-aliasing request is due to consumers of the Snap needing to integrate it into their automation without having to append slurm. to each command being called.

For slurm, these are all well known binaries shipped as part of slurm so +1 from me for those aliases. Regarding munge, I see there is also the separate munge snap in the store - are you asking for these to be aliases for these commands within the slurm snap (or within the munge snap)?

^yes, this is exactly it. Thank you!

@alexmurray we also need aliases for our daemons also; slurmd, slurmrestd, slurmctld, slurmdbd.

Ok so looking at the snap.yaml of the most recent slurm revision uploaded to the store I see the following apps declared and which you have requested an alias for above - I can’t see remunge but there is remundged listed - did you mean that instead? Can you confirm if this list is correct?

• munge
  • mungekey
  • sacct
  • sacctmgr
  • salloc
  • sattach
  • sbatch
  • sbcast
  • scancel
  • scontrol
  • sdiag
  • sinfo
  • slurmctld
  • slurmd
  • slurmdbd
  • slurmrestd
  • sprio
  • squeue
  • sreport
  • srun
  • sshare
  • sstat
  • strigger
  • unmunge

Yep, that was a mistake on my part. Let me fix it and get right back to you with the corrected list.

These look like they’re exposed as daemons by the snap, so don’t represent commands to be aliased:

@jamesh We were hoping to Auto-alias our daemons also; slurmd, slurmctld, slurmdbd, slurmrestd and munged.

What I’m saying is that no wrapper is generated for daemons in /snap/bin, so there is nothing to alias.

If you are referring to the generated systemd units, there is (currently) no facility to change how they are named.

1 Like

Hey Alex, here’s a corrected & final list of the commands we need auto-aliased:

• sacct

• sacctmgr

• salloc

• sattach

• sbatch

• sbcast

• scancel

• scontrol

• sdiag

• sinfo

• spiro

• squeue

• sreport

• srun

• sshare

• sstat

• strigger

• munge

• unmunge

• remunge

• mungekey

Checking the Ubuntu archive, all of the s* commands are well-known to the slurm-client deb so these sound reasonable. +1 for the s* commands.

For the ‘munge’ commands, the commands are known to come from the ‘munge’ deb and there is a munge snap already (from the same publisher as slurm). While I recognize that munge is a dependency on slurm, is the expected slurm snap experience to use munge directly or are the s* commands and slurm daemons expected to just use munge? Since the snaps are from the same publisher and the aliases are for the same software, I’m inclined to vote in the affirmative for these, but I’d like to hear back before voting on the ‘munge’ commands.

Great Question.

The end goal is to maintain and support both Snaps, (Slurm and Munge) but it was easier to deliver a working Slurm snap with munge included rather than trying to build and maintain both Snaps separately.

Maintaining the Munge Snap is still on our backlog, however.

is the expected slurm snap experience to use munge directly

Currently, yes. However, it will be configurable so that the Slurm Snap can be set to a Snap mode which does not enable the internal Munge since Slurm supports other authentication options.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back. +1 for all the aliases

2 Likes

+2 votes for, 0 votes against. This is now live.

2 Likes