Archive Manager can open .snap files. What kind of archives are they?

I tried renaming a snap to .zip before opening in file-roller (Archive Manager) but it complained about the file. I did the same for the original .snap file and it opened. It’s not a .tar.gz either.

I need to know so I can recreate the .snap after making modifications to the uncompressed archive.

Snaps are gpg signed squashfs files, you can use unsquashfs from the squashfs-tools package to unpack them…

I dont think there is any sane way to re-compress them without the snapcraft.yaml though (you would have to copy it into snap/ or into the toplevel dir of the unpacked snap and call “snapcraft snap”) and even then you can only install this snap using the --dangerous switch which makes it unupgradeable via “snap refresh”

So this is only feasible for development …

I personally find it easier to simply put a modified file into some workdir and bind mount it on top of the mounted snap to try out a change … or just iteravely rebuild the snap completely for such a use case, This is way less effort …

Thanks ogra. Until about two days ago I was able to copy the .snap to my home directory, open it with file-roller edit the file (.lua in this case) and resave the snap. That’s no longer the case. Maybe an update made an improvement that I’d been exploiting :slight_smile:

I’ve found the git project for the snap itself at https://github.com/snapcrafters/mrrescue so I’ll look into making a clone here so I can make the changes. Many thanks!