Apps GUI icon desktop

Hello,

I am new to use snap to install package. I recently installed some app but it seems that the only way to launch app is to use terminal. Why apps doesn’t appear in GUI application on Linux with icon? How to fix it?

Regards

I had to restart to show icons. I don’t know why.

Did you happen to install snapd itself from within your desktop session?

The .desktop files for GUI applications are installed to /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications. This isn’t on the default search path, so snapd ships some user session startup scripts to add it by setting the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable.

That particular change wouldn’t be visible until after logging out and logging back in again. But now that you’ve done that, new snap apps should show up without problem.

I have the same problem. But restarting my computer doesn’t fix it.

I installed a few applications with snap (pycharm-community & discord). There is no icon in the GUI, the applications don’t appear in the list of installed applications.
I can start an application (i.e discord) using snap run discord

/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications contains the files discord_discord.desktop and pycharm-community_pycharm-community.desktop

How can I fix this problem ? restarting my computer didn’t work. I’m on debian 10 & gnome 3.30.2
Thanks for your help !

I found a solution here : stack overflow

Copy applications shortcut from /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/ to /usr/share/applications/

Example: sudo cp /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/brave_brave.desktop /usr/share/applications/

that will break as soon as the content of the .desktop file changes with an update … better fix what is broken in the desktop setup (i.e. the obviously broken population of XDG_DATA_DIRS at login) … so the files are read properly as on every other distro …