Anyone got an arm64 rpi (or similar (non-asahi)) to test something?

Good day!

Does anyone have a Raspberry Pi handy running arm64 Raspbian, Ubuntu (or similar) and would be willing to install a snap from the store to test if it launches and runs okay?

Specifically (long story short), the Asahi (Linux on Apple Silicon) team chose a different kernel page size for the distro. As such, some applications, when built for arm64 compatible CPUs (like the M1 in my Mac) don’t work because they’re built for a different (more common ‘standard’) 4K page size.

One example is the Telegram Desktop snap found at Install Telegram Desktop on Linux | Snap Store. The upstream developers appear cautious about switching to a 16K page size for Telegram when it only affects a small percentage of users.

I want to provide some helpful feedback that a snap built for a 16K page size works fine on a 4K page size system. But I don’t have any non-Asahi Arm64-capable devices with a desktop GUI on them I figured some of you fine people might.

For example, the Telegram Asahi snap (which I built directly on my M1 Mac) works fine on Ubuntu Asahi) (16K page size). But I don’t know if it works on (for example) a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian or Ubuntu Arm64.

The ask

On a Pi or similar device, please snap install telegram-asahi and give the application a shake. In theory, it should work just fine, like the telegram-desktop snap.

Any feedback would be most welcome in this endeavour.

2 Likes

I was prepping a few bits of hardware to do some testing so I can give you feedback later today.

1 Like

Just to test I’ve run it upto welcome screen with no shakes. That part works and visually looks okay. (Once a while it finishes with “Segmentation fault” on an older linux/snapd. Probably that’s connected with outdated hardware/software in this case).

note: it was arm64 hardware, but not Raspberry

$ arch
aarch64

$ uname -srm
Linux 5.10.69-12-amlogic-g98700611d064 aarch64

$ lsb_release -irc
Distributor ID:	Debian
Release:	12
Codename:	bookworm

$ getconf PAGESIZE 

$ dpkg -s snapd | egrep 'Vers|Arch'
Architecture: arm64
Version: 2.57.6-1+b5

$ snap list | grep teleg
telegram-asahi     4.15.1           13     latest/stable  popey        -

$ /snap/bin/telegram-asahi 

(telegram-desktop:6380): dbind-WARNING **: 15:38:25.369: AT-SPI: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to connect PipeWire event context (errno: 112)
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" to "stateChanged" : Type not registered with QtDBus in parameter list: QNetworkManagerInterface::NMState
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" to "connectivityChanged" : Type not registered with QtDBus in parameter list: QNetworkManagerInterface::NMConnectivityState
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" to "deviceTypeChanged" : Type not registered with QtDBus in parameter list: QNetworkManagerInterface::NMDeviceType
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" to "meteredChanged" : Type not registered with QtDBus in parameter list: QNetworkManagerInterface::NMMetered
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 2
QWidget::render: Cannot render with an inactive painter
Segmentation fault
$ arch
aarch64

$ uname -srm
Linux 6.7.9-edge-sunxi64 aarch64

$ lsb_release -irc
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Release:	24.04
Codename:	noble

$ getconf PAGESIZE

$ dpkg -s snapd | egrep 'Vers|Arch'
Version: 2.60.4+23.10

$ snap list | grep teleg
telegram-asahi     4.15.1           13     latest/stable  popey        -

$ /snap/bin/telegram-asahi 
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" to "stateChanged" : Type not registered with QtDBus in parameter list: QNetworkManagerInterface::NMState
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" to "connectivityChanged" : Type not registered with QtDBus in parameter list: QNetworkManagerInterface::NMConnectivityState
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" to "deviceTypeChanged" : Type not registered with QtDBus in parameter list: QNetworkManagerInterface::NMDeviceType
qt.dbus.integration: Could not connect "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" to "meteredChanged" : Type not registered with QtDBus in parameter list: QNetworkManagerInterface::NMMetered
qt.core.qobject.connect: QObject::connect: No such signal QPlatformNativeInterface::systemTrayWindowChanged(QScreen*)
1 Like

Just wonder if you can use Virtualbox to perform your test on other platform. https://www.virtualbox.org/

No, I am trying to validate that the snap works on real hardware. A VM is too different to be a valid test.

$ arch

aarch64

$ uname -srm

Linux 6.5.0-1013-raspi aarch64

$ lsb_release -irc

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Release: 23.10

Codename: mantic

$ getconf PAGESIZE

$ dpkg -s snapd | egrep ‘Vers|Arch’

Version: 2.60.4+23.10.1

$ snap list | grep teleg

telegram-asahi 4.15.2 14 latest/stable popey -

$ sudo snap install telegram-asahi

telegram-asahi 4.15.2 from Alan Pope (popey) installed

$ telegram-asahi

MESA: error: ZINK: vkCreateInstance failed

(VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER)

libEGL warning: egl: failed to create dri2 screen

** (telegram-desktop:97751): WARNING **: 17:58:59.088: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

It seems to be able to start and I am able to scan the QR code to connect to my telegram account.

I am using a Raspberry Pi 400 on Ubuntu 23.10

1 Like

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.