Allow snap access to nfs mounts

What is the correct way to allow a snap package access a filesystem that is mounted via nfs?

I have seen many issues here that deal with the specific problem that the home folder is an nfs mount, but my problem seems to be more basic than that.

Since I am crafting the package myself, I have no problem giving it access to the “network” interface (one of the earlier reported problems seems to be that nfs access requires for this).

But it still does not work for me. I get this on the kernel log

[290079.508354] nfs: RPC call returned error 13

I get this in journalctl:
Sep 06 18:17:00 rotatoria audit[29964]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="sendmsg" profile="/snap/snapd/12883/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=29964 comm="snap-confine" laddr=192.168.178.35 lport=744 faddr=192.168.178.3 fport=2049 family="inet" sock_type="stream" protocol=6 requested_mask="send" denied_mask="send"

network is connected:

> snap connections atlatec-annotate
  network                 atlatec-annotate:network          :network                          -

I have the feeling I miss something very basic.

Any help appreciated!

Btw, snap is installed with “–devmode”.

Also, I have bind-mounted the nfs below /media (this is a trick that I think worked in the past to make it believe that “removable-media” plug is sufficient.)

1 Like

for sockets you also want the network-bind plug … it also helps to run the snappy-debug tool from the snappy-debug snap in a second terminal while executing your app, that will give you some useful interface hints …

Adding network-bind did not change anything, unfortunately.

snappy-debug remains quiet, but I still get the same audit messages in journalctl.

Interface               Plug                              Slot                              Notes
content[gtk-2-engines]  atlatec-annotate:gtk-2-engines    gtk2-common-themes:gtk-2-engines  -
content[gtk-2-themes]   atlatec-annotate:gtk-2-themes     gtk-common-themes:gtk-2-themes    -
content[icon-themes]    atlatec-annotate:icon-themes      gtk-common-themes:icon-themes     -
content[sound-themes]   atlatec-annotate:sound-themes     gtk-common-themes:sound-themes    -
home                    atlatec-annotate:home             :home                             -
network                 atlatec-annotate:network          :network                          -
network-bind            atlatec-annotate:network-bind     :network-bind                     -
opengl                  atlatec-annotate:opengl           :opengl                           -
removable-media         atlatec-annotate:removable-media  -                                 -

Is it really not possible to use snap packages to access nfs filesystems?

I’m also interested in this topic - I’m trying to set up a remote boot Raspberry PI with Ubuntu on a NFS root partition - everything works fine until I try to install MicroK8s and I get this error in the shell: ubuntu@node1:~$ sudo snap install microk8s --classic error: cannot perform the following tasks:

• Run install hook of “microk8s” snap if present (run hook “install”: /snap/snapd/14063/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied)

And this in the audit log: type=AVC msg=audit(1637626645.144:441): apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“sendmsg” profile="/snap/snapd/14063/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=7307 comm=“snap-confine” laddr=xxxx lport=873 faddr=xxxx fport=2049 family=“inet” sock_type=“stream” protocol=6 requested_mask=“send” denied_mask=“send”

I found some articles online about adding ‘network, inet’ the profile but the profile keeps getting overwritten and I haven’t figured out which process is doing that yet

Has anyone found a solution to this? I’m also experiencing this issue with an NFS root drive.

I think the NFS homes, also under a non /home location is a very well known limitation for snap as it stands now.

This has hit me hard for years and I don’t think it will change.

This will alienate snap from many multi-user systems, distros and setups.

2 Likes

I have heard through the grapevine that these NFS home issues are getting sorted. I wonder if NFS homes that live under non-standard /home are supported now?

@jnsgruk @johnfuqua @jonthor @johnmarshal @nuccitheboss

Hey James - unfortunately I do not have much insight whether or not changes have been made to snapd; however, I know that there is an agreed upon workaround published to the Snap documentation on how to change the default home directory for a user: https://snapcraft.io/docs/home-outside-home

The issue largely has to do with limitations with AppArmor. You still have to bind mount to /home from the looks of it, but you can store home somewhere else (like on an NFS server). You might just need to make sure that you have the network and network-bind slots connected, but I am not 100% on that.

1 Like

Thanks for the response @nuccitheboss.

This bug looks like it has a lot of additional context.

Thanks for linking this bug in. Looks like the preferred method for setting up non-standard home directories is to use the workaround. It might interesting to try the suggested workaround with my pypi-server snap.

It is a basic snap that I use to test my “snap management” code. It reads packages in from home, so we could use it to test if reading packages on an NFS server actually works or not.

Issue #1 local system users with non-standard $HOME

$ sudo snap install pypi-server
pypi-server 1.5.0 from Jason Nucciarone (nuccitheboss) installed

$ pypi-server
Sorry, home directories outside of /home are not currently supported. 
See https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/11209 for details.

$ pwd
/lhome/ubuntu

Issue #2 non-local users NFS homes (ssh into the server as my AD user and create ~/snap/pypi-server

~$ juju ssh jbemfv@100
Welcome to Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-132-generic x86_64)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
 * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
 * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage

System information as of Tue Dec 13 19:28:53 CET 2022

System load:  0.04               Processes:             199
  Usage of /:   32.4% of 45.53GB   Users logged in:       0
  Memory usage: 2%                 IPv4 address for eth0: 10.104.196.127
  Swap usage:   0%

* Strictly confined Kubernetes makes edge and IoT secure. Learn how MicroK8s
   just raised the bar for easy, resilient and secure K8s cluster deployment.

https://ubuntu.com/engage/secure-kubernetes-at-the-edge

78 updates can be applied immediately.
To see these additional updates run: apt list --upgradable

New release '22.04.1 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

*** System restart required ***
jbemfv@witty-lion:~$ pwd
/home/jbemfv
jbemfv@witty-lion:~$ mount | grep jbemfv
mynfsserver.com:/hpc_home/jbemfv on /home/jbemfv type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=524288,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=10.254.253.183,mountvers=3,mountport=300,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=10.254.253.183)
jbemfv@witty-lion:~$ pypi-server
WARNING: You are using deprecated arguments to pypiserver.

Please run `pypi-server --help` and update your command to align with the current interface.

In most cases, this will be as simple as just using

pypi-server run [args]

instead of

pypi-server [args]

jbemfv@witty-lion:~$ ls -la snap
total 93
drwxr-sr-x  5 jbemfv hpcusers   73 Dec 13 19:29 .
drwxr-sr-x 22 jbemfv hpcusers 4247 Dec 13 19:28 ..
drwxr-sr-x  4 jbemfv hpcusers   72 Jan 19  2022 lxd
drwxr-sr-x  4 jbemfv hpcusers   68 Dec 13 19:29 pypi-server
drwxr-sr-x  6 jbemfv hpcusers  112 Apr 29  2021 slurm

jbemfv@witty-lion:~$ exit
logout
Connection to 10.104.196.127 closed.

Now that we have used the snap as a non-local user and now have a ~/snap/pypi-server in the nfs we cannot uninstall the snap.

jbemfv@VDL900076:~$ juju ssh 100
Welcome to Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-132-generic x86_64)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
 * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
 * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage

System information as of Tue Dec 13 19:29:38 CET 2022

System load:  0.08               Processes:             195
  Usage of /:   32.4% of 45.53GB   Users logged in:       0
  Memory usage: 2%                 IPv4 address for eth0: 10.104.196.127
  Swap usage:   0%

* Strictly confined Kubernetes makes edge and IoT secure. Learn how MicroK8s
   just raised the bar for easy, resilient and secure K8s cluster deployment.

https://ubuntu.com/engage/secure-kubernetes-at-the-edge

78 updates can be applied immediately.
To see these additional updates run: apt list --upgradable

New release '22.04.1 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

*** System restart required ***
Last login: Tue Dec 13 19:26:36 2022 from 10.254.224.79
ubuntu@witty-lion:~$ sudo snap remove pypi-server
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Remove data for snap "pypi-server" (2) (unlinkat /home/jbemfv/snap/pypi-server/2: permission denied)
1 Like

So you guys are aware, these are the problems we have been hitting our heads on for years now when trying to use snaps in multi-user systems.

Running snappy-debug while trying to remove the snap shows

$ sudo snappy-debug
INFO: Following '/var/log/syslog'. If have dropped messages, use:
INFO: $ sudo journalctl --output=short --follow --all | sudo snappy-debug
kernel.printk_ratelimit = 0
= AppArmor =
Time: Dec 13 19:44:37
Log: apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="open" profile="/usr/sbin/sssd" name="/proc/2529473/cmdline" pid=1018 comm="sssd_nss" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=0 ouid=0
File: /proc/2529473/cmdline (read)
Suggestion:
* adjust program to not access '@{PROC}/@{pid}/cmdline'

= AppArmor =
Time: Dec 13 19:44:37
Log: apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="open" profile="/usr/sbin/sssd" name="/proc/2529473/cmdline" pid=1019 comm="sssd_pam" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=0 ouid=0
File: /proc/2529473/cmdline (read)
Suggestion:

= AppArmor =
Time: Dec 13 19:44:38
Log: apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="open" profile="/usr/sbin/sssd" name="/proc/2529573/cmdline" pid=1018 comm="sssd_nss" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=0 ouid=0
File: /proc/2529573/cmdline (read)
Suggestion:

= AppArmor =
Time: Dec 13 19:44:47
Log: apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="open" profile="/usr/sbin/sssd" name="/proc/2529595/cmdline" pid=1018 comm="sssd_nss" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=0 ouid=0
File: /proc/2529595/cmdline (read)
Suggestion:

= AppArmor =
Time: Dec 13 19:44:48
Log: apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="open" profile="/usr/sbin/sssd" name="/proc/851936/cmdline" pid=1018 comm="sssd_nss" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=0 ouid=0
File: /proc/851936/cmdline (read)
Suggestion:

= AppArmor =
Log: apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="open" profile="/usr/sbin/sssd" name="/proc/2529646/cmdline" pid=1018 comm="sssd_nss" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=0 ouid=0
File: /proc/2529646/cmdline (read)
Suggestion:

= AppArmor =
Log: apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="open" profile="/usr/sbin/sssd" name="/proc/2529647/cmdline" pid=1018 comm="sssd_nss" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=0 ouid=339533
File: /proc/2529647/cmdline (read)
Suggestion:

and

$ journalctl -u snapd

Dec 13 19:29:44 witty-lion runuser[2527380]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session opened for user jbemfv by (uid=0)
Dec 13 19:29:44 witty-lion runuser[2527380]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session closed for user jbemfv
Dec 13 19:29:44 witty-lion snapd[851936]: taskrunner.go:271: [change 37 "Remove data for snap \"pypi-server\" (2)" task] failed: unlinkat /home/jbemfv/snap/pypi-server/2: permission denied
Dec 13 19:44:18 witty-lion snapd[851936]: api_snaps.go:319: Installing snap "snappy-debug" revision unset
Dec 13 19:44:48 witty-lion runuser[2529646]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session opened for user jbemfv by (uid=0)
Dec 13 19:44:48 witty-lion runuser[2529646]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session closed for user jbemfv
Dec 13 19:44:48 witty-lion snapd[851936]: taskrunner.go:271: [change 39 "Remove data for snap \"pypi-server\" (2)" task] failed: unlinkat /home/jbemfv/snap/pypi-server/2: permission denied
Dec 13 19:48:33 witty-lion runuser[2530317]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session opened for user jbemfv by (uid=0)
Dec 13 19:48:33 witty-lion runuser[2530317]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session closed for user jbemfv
Dec 13 19:48:33 witty-lion snapd[851936]: taskrunner.go:271: [change 40 "Remove data for snap \"pypi-server\" (2)" task] failed: unlinkat /home/jbemfv/snap/pypi-server/2: permission denied

Thank you for reporting this issue and sorry that we have let you wait for so long. Please note that we work on a fix for non-local homedirs, there is even a test PPA available in

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mardy/snapd-dev
$ sudo  snap set system homedirs=/lhome

This is based on the work in https://github.com/mardy/snapd/tree/homedirs-on-tmpfs which is currently under review.

This should hopefully give you the ability to run on non-local homedirs.

For the issue of removing snaps for non-local user on NFS home - I wonder if this is related to the NFS root_squash option, so I wonder if you could set “no_root_squash” for the nfs dir and see if that is enough? This is mostly a workaround, we will need to look into this properly.

3 Likes

Any thoughts on this related issue Snaps do not start in PXE booted environment, NFS mounted / (Ubuntu 20.04) ?

Hey @mvo, thank you for the response.

In our setup, the default home is moved to /lhome during system setup to allow the use of /home for autofs nfs user home mounts.

Something like,

mkdir -p /lhome
usermod ubuntu -m -d /lhome/ubuntu
sed -i 's+\(^HOME\|^# HOME\)=/home$+HOME=/lhome+g'  /etc/default/useradd
usermod -p '*' ubuntu

With the above setup, using /lhome for local system user home, snaps seem to work for me already without using sudo snap set system homedirs=/lhome.

I’m wondering if there is something I’m missing here…

Concerning NFS home dirs, we don’t have the option to enable root squash … but I think when I have tested in the past, that did enable the system root user to remove snaps.

Thanks