Alias request for git-confined

The git-confined Snap contains latest Git for use in restricted environments like Ubuntu Core & Ubuntu Touch.

I’d like to request the Snap’s git-confined.git command to be aliased to git.

Hello,

Apologize for the delay to get at this.

Per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks 2, we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

Thanks!

Hi beidl,

There is quite a lot for us to consider before granting this alias. Ultimately we want there to be a high quality Git snap in the store. I have not tested your git-confined snap, but am interested to know how well it functions. Is it suffering from any serious functional limitations due to confinement that users are likely to be frustrated by?

I ask this because if it is fully functional then I am tempted to suggest you request the snap name git, and then rather than granting the alias you’ll have it automatically available. Obviously though, git is likely to become quite a popular snap and therefore there would be an expectation from users that it functions as expected and be well maintained.

On top of the maintainability expectations, historically the store team has also pushed back on 3-letter snap names, since

Three-letter and shorter snap names are too generic and nondescript and don’t provide a good idea of what the snap actually is or does."

But maybe the policy is different for well known applications like git.

@Igor do you have a recommendation from advocacy for this case?

I also think that aliases should be explanatory, hence not too short, and they should not conflict with existing commands. So it would be best to look for an alternative.

Hey @beidl, let us know if you have any alternative that we can grant as an alias.

thanks

Hey, sorry for the delay in responding. I suppose going forward an alias git-confined might be a valid compromise.

You wont need an alias for a command that is the snap name itself, this is granted automatically.

You can adjust your yaml to read:

apps:
  git-confined:
    command: usr/bin/git