A question for regular visitors

What’s the one suggestion/tip/piece of advice you have for new developers publishing a snap?

Suggestions: What do you wish someone would have told you when you were learning snaps? What would you tell a newbie today? Any tips and tricks for getting started?

2 Likes

“A puppy is for life, not just for Christmas.”

4 Likes

More seriously, there’s enough prior art out there now that I’d recommend starting by trying to snap something which someone else has snapped successfully. Compare your approaches. Email them to ask them why they took their approach, if it differs to yours. Hang out in this forum and follow the threads. Never hesitate to ping the experts.

3 Likes

My tip would be if you’re snapping your own software, come here for help. If you’re snapping someone else’s, start small. I wouldn’t start with something huge and unwieldy like a browser. But begin with little command line utilities, especially those written in Go or Rust, and build up from there.

4 Likes

It’s a good idea to make sure you understand the build system that the application that you want to snap uses before you put snapcraft into the mix. Once you’re familiar with the way the build system works it will be much easier to translate that into declarative snapcraft.yaml configuration.

2 Likes

Indeed. Learn how to build it (in a container or VM if necessary) before attempting to snap it.

I’d also install fabrica from @ogra

Super useful and makes things pretty easy, especially if you’re hosting on git.

2 Likes