22.03 track for microovn snap

We’d like to request a track named 22.03 for the microovn snap.

cc: @mkalcok

Hello,

Per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks 2, we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

I have three questions before casting my vote.

1. What’s microovn’s release cadence, how often is a new major version (potentially requiring a new track) released? Is this documented somewhere by upstream?
  2. Is there some commitment from upstream on maintenance of old versions? e.g. is 21.03 still supported with security updates? will it continue to be supported now that 22.03 is out, and for how long?
  3. Are new versions backwards-incompatible? Meaning, for example, if I was running 21.03 and try to install 22.03, will that just work, or do I need to migrate my data/configuration, or will things break horribly?

Thanks!

• Odysseus
  1. What’s microovn’s release cadence, how often is a new major version (potentially requiring a new track) released? Is this documented somewhere by upstream?

The main component of the microovn snap versioning will come from the upstream OVN release versioning. OVN is also packaged in Debian/Ubuntu and is in the main component in the Ubuntu archive, meaning it will receive security support.

For snap tracks we intend to track the upstream and Ubuntu LTS releases, so that means we will be requesting a new track every two years.

1. Is there some commitment from upstream on maintenance of old versions? e.g. is 21.03 still supported with security updates? will it continue to be supported now that 22.03 is out, and for how long?

The upstream OVN project releases a LTS version every two years, which coincides with the Ubuntu LTS releases. After the next upstream LTS release is cut, the previous one will still receive one year of upstream support for critical bug- and security fixes. The snap consumes the OVN package from Ubuntu, which will be supported by Canonical for the lifetime of the Ubuntu LTS release.

1. Are new versions backwards-incompatible? Meaning, for example, if I was running 21.03 and try to install 22.03, will that just work, or do I need to migrate my data/configuration, or will things break horribly?

Ensuring upgrades work is an important part of how the upstream project is developed, and also an important part of how microovn itself is developed. Both microovn and OVN itself provide databases, and on upgrade between tracks these databases need schema conversion.

Our goal is for upgrades between tracks to be handled automatically, at least when upgrading from the previous LTS to the next.

Thanks for answering. I’m +1 on creating this track but I’d like to ask something for clarification purposes:

Is the mentioned schema conversion a somewhat complicated process or is it all done automatically? Because if it’s the former, then a new track is definitely a valid use case (i.e. so that users don’t upgrade and break things). But if this is done automatically, then I think you wouldn’t need a track for this case. Users can just upgrade at all times, right?

Thanks,

Odysseus

There are a few things here:

1. OVN is a distributed system providing networking for a cloud management system, such as LXD, OpenStack or Kubernetes. Any upgrades would need to be done in cooperation with those systems. We do not control the release cadence of the consuming systems, so there may be situations where a user may want to stay on a specific track in order for their system to keep working.

2. Upgrades only move forward, if a user upgrades to a new version and hits a problem, there is no easy way for them to downgrade.

3. Between the LTS versions, the upstream provides interim releases at least two times a year. These releases are an integral part in the development of microovn and we will update the latest track of the snap to the most recent version as soon as it is made available. Most of our users would however want to stick to the LTS version until the next LTS is made available.

Hi,

+1 from me as a reviewer. The 22.03 has been successfully created.

Thanks,

Odysseus

1 Like