16.04 or 18.04

I read in one of the docs that snaps should be built on 16.04 because using other versions could causes issues. I install vanilla Ubuntu 16.04, but ran into issues with Unity. So, I installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and ran sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade. After the that finished, I started modifying UM and installing my favorite apps. Finally, I wad ready to start snapping. I ran snap --version and got this print out:

snap    2.34.2+18.04
snapd   2.34.2+18.04
series  16
ubuntu  18.04
kernel  4.15.0-39-generic

Can I create snaps using 18.04 or do I have reinstall? Thanks.

F.Y.I. It’s been a while since I used anything Ubuntu (been using Manjaro and Solus), so I did not realize that command would update me to the latest LTS.

I’m no expert, but know you can use snapcraft cleanbuild on 18.04 to build in an lxd container, there are some details here: https://docs.snapcraft.io/build-on-lxd/4157

1 Like

This command shouldn’t really upgrade your Ubuntu to the next release, what’s the output of the terminal command lsb_release -a?

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release:	18.04
Codename:	bionic

Congrats, you’re on 18.04 now, thus you have to build snaps in an Ubuntu 16.04 container(which we recommend it anyway as it is cleaner).