1.3 and 1.4 tracks for kotlin

Hi!

For Kotlin snap we are going to create separate tracks for each release. Please create 1.3 and 1.4 tracks - for our current and next versions.

Thanks

I found you have a longer process for first request, so here are details:

What’s release cadence, how often is a new major version (potentially requiring a new track) released? is this documented somewhere by upstream?

1.2: November 2017
1.3: October 2018
1.4: August 2020
In future we plan to speed release cycle up to 6 months.

History is listed in our blog, but I don’t think we have a formal policy published publicly.

Is there some committment from upstream on maintenance of old versions? e.g. is 1.4 still supported with security updates? will 1.5 continue to be supported now that 1.6 is out, and for how long?

We may publish updates for old versions in case of critical issues. But that does not happen regullary.

Are new versions backwards-incompatible? meaning, if I was running 1.5 and try to install 1.6, will that just work, or do I need to migrate my data/configuration, or will things break horribly?

Yes, there are incompatibilities between versions, and it may take time to switch to a new version.
That’s the main reason we are asking for separate tracks - to allow our users switch between different stable versions back and forth.

Wow, thanks for being proactive with all the requested information :slight_smile: No further questions from me, and +1 on this request.

We’ll give a few days for other reviewers to chime in with more votes and process at the end of the waiting period.

• Daniel

@roadmr Hi, Daniel!

Could you add the tracks, please

Thanks!

Hello,

I still need another +1 from a @reviewers member, once we have that I will go ahead with the tracks.

Cheers!

• Daniel

+1 from me - all sounds perfectly reasonable

Sorry for the delay, I’ve created the 1.3 and 1.4 tracks for kotlin. Enjoy!

• Daniel