X11 Forwarding using SSH

I guess I don’t know who’s responsible for what WRT this issue (I know almost nothing about snaps in general, just trying to be a user), but clearly much of this thread is specifically about this specific issue of “$HOME is changed so the default lookup of a specific dotfile is broken”, so “unrelated” seems inaccurate. By “firefox bug” do you mean with mozilla.org? Are they the ones responsible for the details of how the snap should run?

1 Like

you linked to a thread that asked about adding a variable to the firefox launcher … so yes, file it at mozilla.org, they are the ones doing the snap …

That thread was, like me, only suggesting a possibility without any real knowledge of where the fix should be or who owns that code. It’s really really difficult for an outsider to find a clue about things like that.

So, thanks for your advice; I will attempt to file it at mozilla.org (five years after the issue was first reported).

Since this is a problem people running snaps over X11 will continue to run into, perhaps you could include the suggestions in your OP so people don’t need to read the entire thread? Apparently, according to ogra via #snapcraft irc:

no, linking wont help … that would allow to break out of the sandbox snaps use apparmr to confine disk/filesystem access … apparmor does not allow to follow symlinks

The answer for Ubuntu 22.04 was

$ tail -2 ~/.bashrc
##added 2023.01.04 from https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/x11-forwarding-using-ssh/2381
export XAUTHORITY="$HOME/.Xauthority"

well, you could try to create a firefox bug instead of commenting on an old, unrelated snapd thread

Seriously? Every X11-based Snap has had this problem for (checks calendar) over five years, so each vendor should implement a ridiculous workaround in their snap? LOL. I guess throw this on the huge pile of reasons most people hate Snaps.

I can ssh -X into an Ubuntu machine, open a remote xterm, and then inside that xterm run snap’d brave or firefox or chromium or glxgears-example or whatever, and it’ll fail with a confusing red herring X auth error message because snapd breaks normal app behavior. I don’t see a link to a Snapcraft bug here, and this is by far the highest rated Google link, so it’s not at all surprising that someone’s asking for status here. That’s certainly how I got here. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes