What is the safest way of migrating user data from $SNAP_USER_DATA to $SNAP_USER_COMMON?

I have a game which stores configuration and saves under $SNAP_USER_DATA. I have realised this will be a problem if someone is playing the game when the snap automatically updates. I may be wrong in my assumptions, but this is the problem I fear:

• Player is playing on version x
  • snap updates to version y and copies all the saves and configs from version x to version y
  • Player continues to play on version x, not noticing the update, for a couple of hours
  • Player saves game and quits. Game is saved under the version x $SNAP_USER_DATA
  • Player restarts the game. Data are read from version y’s $SNAP_USER_DATA, which does not have the savefile from the last 2 hours of play
  • Player writes me an angry email

To avoid this problem, I’d rather save data under $SNAP_USER_COMMON. However, the game is already out there will a large number of installs. I need to find a way to migrate those data without replicating the savefile problem above. Ideally I need a way to trigger a copy of those data at the first ever run of version y from version x’s $SNAP_USER_DATA to $SNAP_USER_COMMON.

Is there a safe and reliable way to reference version x’s $SNAP_USER_DATA from version y? Is there a better way to do this? Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

I understand the concern, and the desire to keep saves separate but there is another problem which will lurk for the unwary even with moving the data into $SNAP_USER_COMMON, when updating or reverting the snap. While it will solve your immediate concern, there is potential for issues arising if you ever change the saved data file format/layout.

Consider that the user updates their saves to a new data format and then finds issues with the game which require a rollback to a version where the data format was the old style. With the data saved into $SNAP_USER_DATA this is covered by reverting the data in addition to the snap, which means losing the latest saves. However, with the data in $SNAP_USER_COMMON the user keeps their latest saves but the data file is possibly incompatible with the older version so they can’t use it anyway.

I don’t know what the solution is, as both methods have potential problems. I hope, however, to have helped to illuminate the concerns on both sides of the fence so you can make a decision that is well-informed. You are able to do either and I don’t believe one is superiour than the other, so it’s a case of finding the best way for your users, the application, and yourself as maintainer.

Sorry i can’t give you a definitive “do it this way” or “do it that way”. :frowning:

I’m less worried about that as most people won’t be reverting snaps, and it would be exceptionally unlucky to revert at the point of a save file format change.