[SOLVED] Unable to install LXD snap

I’m trying to build a snap and ran into problems with LXD not being able to create a listening socket. I removed the LXD snap but I can’t even get it installed now:

$ snapcraft
LXD is required but not installed. Do you wish to install LXD and configure it with the defaults? [y/N]: y
lxd 5.18-762f582 from Canonical✓ installed
Error: Failed to create local member network "lxdbr0" in project "default": The DNS and DHCP service exited prematurely: exit status 2 ("dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for fd42:9056:e5c5:f475::1: Address already in use")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/snap/snapcraft/9542/lib/python3.8/site-packages/craft_providers/lxd/lxd.py", line 64, in init
    subprocess.run(cmd, check=True)
  File "/snap/snapcraft/9542/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 516, in run
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['sudo', 'lxd', 'init', '--auto']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

netplan doesn’t report anything listening on the above address. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

UPDATE: I found here some explanation as to what happens. Apparently dnsmasq was too eager to listen on all interfaces, including lxbr0. I limited it to lo and enp2s0, and then LXD could auto-init itself.

But I still can’t build anything because of LXD complaining about missing network access:

$ snapcraft
Launching instance... \ (51.8s)                                                                                                                                                    Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/snap/snapcraft/9542/lib/python3.8/site-packages/craft_providers/bases/buildd.py", line 132, in _execute_run
    proc = executor.execute_run(
  File "/snap/snapcraft/9542/lib/python3.8/site-packages/craft_providers/lxd/lxd_instance.py", line 289, in execute_run
    return self.lxc.exec(
  File "/snap/snapcraft/9542/lib/python3.8/site-packages/craft_providers/lxd/lxc.py", line 371, in exec
    return runner(final_cmd, **kwargs)  # pylint: disable=subprocess-run-check
  File "/snap/snapcraft/9542/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 516, in run
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, process.args,
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['lxc', '--project', 'snapcraft', 'exec', 'local:snapcraft-ymuse-on-amd64-for-amd64-41419128', '--', 'env', 'PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/snap/bin', 'SNAPCRAFT_MANAGED_MODE=1', 'apt-get', 'update']' returned non-zero exit status 100.
craft_providers.bases.errors.NetworkError: A network related operation failed in a context of no network access.
Verify that the environment has internet connectivity; see https://craft-providers.readthedocs.io/ for further reference.

What also amazes me is that I never had any issue with LXD or network up to today, I used to build snaps without any issue. I’ve no idea what’s changed now. Please help.

UPDATE: why is this marked spam for god’s sake?

I seem to get it now. The whole world seems to change when you’re switching base.

I used core22 for the first time, which defaults to LXD (see build providers), whereas core20 uses Multipass by default.

My preference would be Multipass since it doesn’t cause all the network vs. dnsmasq hassle, and that needs to be explicitly specified.

1 Like