builds. The final result is a tarball that can be used jointly with
nvidia’s L4T to get the image flashed. This tarball is also in github
so you do not need to build everything from scratch:

Exact instructions on how to flash Ubuntu Core can be found inside the
tarball.

Note that these images work only for Jetson TX1. Also, these images are not
supported and not official in any way. Patches for bug fixing/support
for TK1/TX2/AGX Xavier are welcome :).

EDIT: I have blogged about some details of this image: https://www.alfonsobeato.net/arm/porting-ubuntu-core-18-to-nvidia-jetson-tx1-developer-kit/

– Alfonso

Hi Alfonso,

I’m working on a snap bundled firmware for our Jetson based products and could work on TX2 & Xavier - both are sitting on my desk.

But if I’m not wrong Ubuntu Core doesn’t support classic snaps which is a problem for me because didn’t find another way to use the hardware accelerated GStreamer provided from NVidia. So did you manage to use the hardware acceleration on TX1 under Ubuntu Core?

Atanas

Atanas

@palavrov I have not tried accelerated payloads yet, but I’m using the nvidia kernel, which should support HW acceleration on its side. There is no intrinsic reason for confined snaps, the only ones supported by Ubuntu Core, not to be able to use HW acceleration, but maybe some new interface that provides access to those capabilities needs to be developed. You could propose changes / new interfaces like those in https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/tree/master/interfaces/builtin .

If using a classic snap makes things easier for you, you could try to use the kernel in the snap in the nvidia image and install snapd. The kernel patches on top of the nvidia kernel should allow you to run snaps on classic Ubuntu.

Snapd comes preinstalled on Xavier SDK (L4T 31.1) i.e. don’t need to do anything for now. But Ubuntu Core image is still a good alternative to simplify the build and final firmware distribution. In few weeks will get back to the subject and will try to adapt and run your snap core on tx2 & xavier. Hope that it would not need weeks as if start from scratch.

The snaps probably will not need much changes, at least for the TX2, but partitioting seems to be quite different, so maybe that is what will require more changes. Keep us posted!