Trying to post Beeper to snapstore - need allow-sandbox: true

@reviewers, please review this request for allow-sandbox support for the browser-support interface. It is requested to be allowed and automatically connected.

2 Likes

I think one action item here is to explore upstreaming electron to understand more chromium flags, specifically --disable-dev-shm-usage, I would try this out myself, but I have no idea how to rebuild electron :slight_smile:

well, check my second link, you should be able to hand over options to chromium from inside your app ā€¦ (not via an electron commandline switch though)

Forgive me if Iā€™m being dumb here, but from what I remember seeing when I was looking into this, --disable-dev-shm-usage did have an effect, see the post here where Electron starts writing to /run/user instead of /dev/shm, and still continued to fail.

1 Like

I think itā€™s a bit onerous to expect every electron-using app to figure out that they need to add code to fix electronā€¦

3 Likes

indeed, this was just to get rolling, not a permanent solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

So from a reviewers point-of-view, it would be great if beeper can be made to work without allow-sandbox: true since this can be done without the requirement of a snap declaration.

In the meantime, if this is definitely needed, I would request that the snap publisher be vetted as is done for classic confinement requests as this request gives the snap quite a lot of privilege on the device.

@advocacy could you please perform publisher vetting?

+1 from me, I vetted the publisher, so if we want to go ahead with an interim classic confinement, although it would be better to try to resolve specific sandboxing issues.

Great, thanks everyone! Let me know what the next steps are. There are two apps to approve: Beeper and Beeper-beta

@Igor @advocacy just bumping this up, would love to get these apps listed! Thanks.

FYI the reason I asked for vetting was not for classic confinement but so that we could gain trust in the publisher for this specific request for allow-sandbox:true - as background, this grants more privileges to a snap (so that it can configure the internal chromium sandbox) and so we need to gain more trust in the publisher in this case (so it is similar to the case of when we grant classic confinement in that regard).

+1 from me to then grant allow-sandbox: true for beeper-beta and beeper.

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, this is now live. Any new snap revision which is uploaded should automatically pass review.

1 Like

@alexmurray Noted, and correct.

@beeper You should be good to go now - The next step is to reupload your builds which will now go through the checking without issues.

Works perfectly! Thanks everyone for the help

Unfortunately running into an error. This snap works fine when I compile it and run it locally with sudo snap install --devmode but after Iā€™ve uploaded it to Snapcraft I tried sudo snap install beeper-beta the app no longer works correctly. It appears that it cannot connect to the internet from the snap containerā€¦all the network calls are failing

Here is a copy of the snap that I uploaded with snapcraft upload --release=stable
https://dl.todesktop.com/201202u1n7yn5b0/builds/210226a4sz0eba0/linux/snap/x64

I donā€™t have a beeper account but it seems to work fine for me - after installing and launching beeper-beta I am presented with a sign-in dialog and if I try and specify a random username/password I am told ā€˜Incorrect username and/or passwordā€™ - perhaps there is an issue with your local installā€¦ Can you try retesting on a separate machine?

Interesting, maybe itā€™s just my ubuntu install. I tried a fresh ubuntu vm and it works fineā€¦thanks for checking for me @alexmurray

Excellent - thanks for checking - let me know if you do notice anything amiss still.

404: Aw, snap! We couldnā€™t find that page

@beedellrokejulianloc hey,

I guess you are writing here because beeper and beeper-beta are not available anymore? Is this your request/complaint?

I have no visibility of what could have happened, but I can see that indeed none of them are available to install. Seems to be a question for @beeper?

1 Like