Track request for xtrabackup: 8.0

Hello there,

we need a track request for xtrabackup for tracking upstream 8.0.x series.

Thanks

Hello,

Per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks 2, we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

I have four questions before casting my vote.

1. What’s the actual track name you’re requesting? :slight_smile:
  2. What’s xtrabackup’s release cadence, how often is a new major version (potentially requiring a new track) released? is this documented somewhere by upstream?
  3. Is there some commitment from upstream on maintenance of old versions?
  4. Are new versions backwards-incompatible? meaning, if I was running 7.x and try to install 8.0, will that just work, or do I need to migrate my data/configuration, or will things break horribly?

Thanks!

• Daniel

Hi Daniel!

1. Ops! It should be “8.0”
  2. Major (and minor for that matter) versions should not change often. Xtrabackup tracks (and lags behind a bit) mysql-server versions, which in turns are very not keen to bump either major nor minor versions. There’s no official documentation about it though, but from historic perspective, there’s something like 4-6 patch versions bumps per year.
  3. Not that I’m aware.
  4. It does not, but as in (2), major.minor wont change often (mysql is “pinned” to 8.0 series since 2016)

Hope that’s clear

If the main intent of the track is to relate this to the corresponding MySQL major version, then I’m +1 and I think the precedent from other mysql-related snaps apply.

• Daniel

It’s, since this is a tool from the mysql ecosystem.

I’ve added the 8.0 track for xtrabackup.

• Daniel
1 Like